Home Forums General Discussion weaver stick question

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jarrod
      Participant

weaver stick question

Al Myers
        Keymaster

The rules state “the lifter’s body must be upright with legs straight at the completion of the lift”. Lean back is not allowed. The critical rule is that the arm must be perfectly straight and not in contact (which would allow bracing) with the side of the body. This is what makes the weaver stick so difficult. Just a slight elbow bend allows other muscles to come into play and much more weight can be lifted. Al

jarrod
          Participant

thanks al. every time i start thinking i’ve got a strong grip/forearms i run across something like this!

Tom Ryan
            Participant

Small suggestion: Let’s capitalize “Weaver”. We don’t want George Weaver to start turning over in his grave. 🙂

jarrod
              Participant

[b]Quote from tpr42345@aol.com on March 2, 2011, 10:02[/b]
                Small suggestion: Let’s capitalize “Weaver”. We don’t want George Weaver to start turning over in his grave. 🙂

i seldom capitalize anything (i type faster that way) no offense or disrespect intended to anyone!

jf

Al Myers
                Keymaster

It shouldn’t even be called the Weaver Stick since he didn’t invent it! It should be called the Von Boeckmann Stick, after Paul Von Boeckmann. (but that doesn’t sound NEAR as nice!). Jarrod, have you checked out the blog on the Weaver Stick yet? I wrote it a year or so ago and explains alot of the history of the Weaver Stick. You can find it by using the article tags search. Al

jarrod
                  Participant

hahaha…i think i just found it:

“10. Weaver Stick – Absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to judge fairly. The arm is NEVER straight, and it only takes a tiny little bend to add a few pounds to this lift. The records in this lift really are meaningless. Now STRAP your arm to a fixed pole and THEN see what you can do in the Weaver Stick. That’s the way it should be done.”

glad i fell in love with one of the dumbest lifts in the USAWA!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.