Wagman's article

Home Forums General Discussion Wagman's article

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      KCSTRONGMAN
      Keymaster

Dan, I appreciate your article and the time it took you to research the records and such. I do find a couple of points that I disagree on, though I do appreciate the sentiment. 1st-I cannot possibly be the top male all-rounder, as I have a very distinct weakness. Had it when I was at my strongest and competing as a pro strongman. my grip. I do not feel you can be considered a true all-round strength athlete with such a glaring weakness. I was able to pad my overall record count by setting a number of all time records in areas I was/am good at. That does not necessarily make me a great all-rounder. I would say people like you, Al, Chad, and so forth are superior all-rounders as at your best, you never had an area of glaring weakness.
        2nd-We are such a fringe area of strength sports, I do not believe that the absolute best strength athletes make their way to our sport. I have no doubt that if the top powerlifters/weightlifters/strongman competitors would lift in our ranks, the would have the capacity to dominate (not sure on the whole drug thing, though). It reminds me of a number of years ago, when Brett Kirby, who performed with Thom VanVleck and his JWC strength evangelism troupe, became one of the top short steel benders in the world. I was visiting with him in complete awe of what he had accomplished. He replied with the fact, as he saw it, that if any of the bigger, stronger lifters in the world would get into short steel bending, they would easily surpass him. I am not necessarily sure of that, but it seems reasonable and possible. For instance, I believe I still own the top Jackson Press done in the USAWA. If Brian Shaw was to attempt this lift, I would assume he would come close to doubling my efforts.
        At any rate, a little food for thought and discussion. I truly enjoyed reading this article.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Chad Ullom
        Participant

Very interesting article for sure, thank you for all the work Dan! All around lifting has a way to humble us all, don’t sell yourself short we all have weaker events. Having overall best lifts says alot in my opinion, because that is certainly something I looked at at record days. If there was something I could take the top lift in, you better believe I’m going for it haha! I’m not that good at the heavy lifts, at points in our organization, it came down to that.

One time Al commented to me that he didn’t have a big lift he was known for like many all rounders. Big Frank with his grip, at the time I had the neck,etc. I remember telling him who cares, you’re good at all of them! Dan’s article bears that out and tying him for most overall records is saying quite a bit ET

Al Myers
          Keymaster

I thought that was an outstanding article. Thanks Dan – as I know that took quite a bit of research.

dwagman
            Participant

Well, ET, since my grip is superior to yours, I’m just gonna grab you by the throat and squeeeeeze…hehehe…

I have to respectfully disagree with your points. All-round is, by definition, not about being the strongest in any and every exercise being thrown at ya. While this sport tests an all-rounder’s strength in nearly all areas, being the best doesn’t require that. I don’t think that a powerlifter with an outstanding bench and deadlift who wins nationals would say he doesn’t deserve the recognition because he has a mediocre squat. So like it or not, YOU are da man and watching you lift over the years has been one of the highlights of my lifting career.

As to your second point, well, of course you do have a point there. Y’all probably don’t know this, but I was real good at tennis; had a GREAT serve. Even taught tennis in graduate school. So if I walked around telling people that, “yeah, so-and-so was good at nationals, but I probably could’ve beat him,” you’d drop one of your insane press weights on my head. While in theory you’re correct, all these guys that think they could beat all of us in all-round need to show up on the platform. Until they do, lettem dream.

And yes, we are sorta a fringe lifting sport. That, however, I would argue again is what sets us apart from the rest. C’mon ET, go ahead and go to ANY gym in KC, pick out the biggest and strongest dude there, show him how to do a Steinborn, then ask him to do it. He wouldn’t even try. THAT, to me, is the difference between us and the rest.

I stick to my assessment in the blog article. All I have to say, though, is that I don’t quite understand why you’d let that Al and Chad character get so close. YOU BETTER GET CRANKIN’!!!!

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
              are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
              compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

KCSTRONGMAN
              Keymaster

OK, I can appreciate those points. And you are probably right, I reckon I have some work to do. BTW, Chad, you are full of it. You are good at the heavy lifts. You have been in the top 2 or three at the championship on several occasions.
                ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Abe Smith
                Participant

ET, any time a lifter has a Guinness Book World Record that is a big feather in the hat. Then on top of that the rest of your IAWA/USAWA records you are definitely up there. I still remember the crucifix you did at Clark’s many moons ago. Great strength feat.

Chad has a great deal of records as well one being of the Ziegler Clean fame. LOL…still do not know how anyone would want to do that lift.

Al for sure has the quantity and quality of records to be on the list.

Dan and Bob Hirsh have put up some amazing numbers.

I think what makes the USAWA entertaining is seeing people excelling in certain feats of strength while being lopsided weak in others. It makes the Gold Cups or Record Days fun and helps even out the actual lifting meets.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.