USAWA GRIPS

Home Forums General Discussion USAWA GRIPS

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

USAWA GRIPS

Ben Edwards
        Participant

Yes, the lifter in question (his name rhymes with Denny – haha) has super integrity. Very classy move!

I had a great time and enjoyed seeing everyone and the after-lifting meal was great too because we all got a chance to just sit around and chat.

I’ve got quite a list of memorable moments but here are just a few since I’m home and want to spend some time with my wife.

-Felecia! Destroying the 3″ bar deadlift record in style. I have no doubt she could’ve pulled the weight I did and made it look a lot cleaner than I did too. It was also neat getting to offer my 2 cents on what weights you should attempt on one or two events – along with Dave. You didn’t think you’d be able to pinch lift the two 45s but you did that with ease – and about 10lbs more!

-Rudy! Beat HIS 2″ vbar record by 10lbs and didn’t even know it until I looked it up and made sure that was the case. I am somewhat of a rainman with certain numbers (usually my own of course) and remembered his lift on the 2″ vbar from last year.

-Mike! Loved the middle fingers deadlift attempt that went from being a failed attempt – no movement at all – to suddenly being a dominating pull after taking a very short break to re-set.

-Mark! Huge pinch strength! He made 175lbs look like a feather pillow and seemed to be close on the 190+lbs attempt too. And he doesn’t train his grip. Which would make me dislike him slightly – if he wasn’t one of the nicest guys in the world.

-Denny! Had very good and balanced strength on all the lifts that it’s hard to pick one that stood out in my head. Plus the aforementioned super integrity.

-Al! MONSTER 3″ bar deadlift – 555lbs! – to end the meet in great style. Dave and I were puzzled by your 1-pound weight addition though to the 2″ vbar weight that you ripped off the ground and could’ve seemingly held for a day. I thought you were joking us, haha! Also considered “saving” a 3rd attempt on the 3″ bar deadlift and asking for 1 pound more than what you did on your best attempt. Then of course not being able to lift it wouldn’t be so funny, but hey.

-Dave! That 360lb (?) 3″ bar deadlift was the most impressive IMO of your lifts. Very nice!

-Me. So glad to pull that 310lbs on the middle fingers deadlift! I thought the 275lbs was going to rip my fingers off and really didn’t “want” to try the 310lbs but I knew that with the great crowd behind me I would at least have a chance if I could block the pain. Well, I couldn’t block the pain, lol. But the lift inched up and I just reviewed the picture that Felecia took of me on that lift and it looks like I’m about to fall apart. Little disappointed that my 2″ vbar strength was down 13 pounds from my best pull. Pinch strength was right where it always is – in the crapper, lol. The thick bar deadlifts were very challenging and I’m glad I had enough sense to not choose more weight and hurt myself on either of them. Was embarrassed to only get 325lbs to my knees since I’ve been able to pull that weight on the Apollon’s Axle since 2004.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Participant

ben…judging by the weights you lift (huge), i thought you’d be BIGGER!!!! hahahahaha

Al Myers
            Keymaster

Again, I want to thank everyone for the great weekend at the Dino Gym. I KNOW it was enjoyed by all! I especially want to thank our USAWA Prez Denny Habecker for making the long drive here. I have competed with Denny many times and his act of sportsmanship that he showed at this meet doesn’t surprise me at all – I have seen it before!! He is a class individual and the PERFECT representative of our organization as our President. Al

Steve Angell
              Participant

555lbs Deadlift on a 3″ bar is huge Al. Well done mate!

Ben Edwards
                Participant

[b]Quote from RAINBOW BEND on February 12, 2011, 19:56[/b]
                  ben…judging by the weights you lift (huge), i thought you’d be BIGGER!!!! hahahahaha

Haha Dave! Great line from one of the best movies of all time – at least in the campy movie index.

Thom Van Vleck
                  Participant

True story: One time Brett Kerby was bending nails, wrenches, etc in a show and it made the local TV news. They were interviewing kids and some said, “That was awesome”, or something like that….but this one little girl said, “I thought you needed big muscles to do that….but I guess not”! HAHAHA We’ve never let him hear the end of it.

Thom Van Vleck
                    Jackson Weightlifting Club
                    Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
                    Keymaster

Thanks Steve. I really wanted to get that 555 because it was 5 more pounds more than what my brother-in-law Bob Burtzloff did about 10 years ago when he was the age I am now. Those kind of things are good topics to bring up at family holiday dinners!! haha

Truthfully, I don’t consider myself much of a “grip guy” and the 3″ deadlift really clouded who the best grip man in the group was (Ben Edwards). Ben clearly beat me on the other more grip-style events, and really deserved to be the winner. Afterwards, I questioned myself in having the 3″ deadlift in this meet. I guess just because it is a grip lift for me (I can do more on a regular bar) this doesn’t ring true for everyone when the back becomes the limit before the grip.

The funny thing is our judge Scott Tully should have been competing instead of judging. The next day at the record day he put up these great grip lifts: 358# Fulton Bar Ciavattone grip dl, 232# in the one hand 2″ VB, a 77# one hand pinch grip, and a 414# 2 bar 2″ VB deadlift!!!!! Al

Ben Edwards
                      Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on February 14, 2011, 16:51[/b]
                        Thanks Steve. I really wanted to get that 555 because it was 5 more pounds more than what my brother-in-law Bob Burtzloff did about 10 years ago when he was the age I am now. Those kind of things are good topics to bring up at family holiday dinners!! haha

Truthfully, I don’t consider myself much of a “grip guy” and the 3″ deadlift really clouded who the best grip man in the group was (Ben Edwards). Ben clearly beat me on the other more grip-style events, and really deserved to be the winner. Afterwards, I questioned myself in having the 3″ deadlift in this meet. I guess just because it is a grip lift for me (I can do more on a regular bar) this doesn’t ring true for everyone when the back becomes the limit before the grip.

The funny thing is our judge Scott Tully should have been competing instead of judging. The next day at the record day he put up these great grip lifts: 358# Fulton Bar Ciavattone grip dl, 232# in the one hand 2″ VB, a 77# one hand pinch grip, and a 414# 2 bar 2″ VB deadlift!!!!! Al

Thanks for the compliment Al! I’m glad you had the 3″ bar deadlift in there though. It’s pretty hard to make any grip contest totally dependent on grip and not to some degree overall bodily strength.

Huge numbers by Scott on the grip stuff! He would’ve dusted us all it sounds like.

Scott Tully
                        Participant

I wouldnt have been much comp overall to you guys, my 3″ bar DL would have been laughable, after seeing the chiro sunday morning though and doing some stuff Im feeling a ton better, going to try some DLing and squatting tonight. You guys were all super impressive!! very glad I got to be there to see it, Ben your 310 middle fingers DL made me hurt watching it, haha.

ST

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.