Participant

Thanks guys!

MFDL goal keeps me training my fingers.

Travis Willingham
              Participant

That is damn nasty. WOW

Timo Lauttamus
                Participant

[b]Quote from Travis Willingham on December 15, 2013, 16:16[/b]
                  That is damn nasty. WOW

Thanks Travis,

pain is just out of tolerance.

dwagman
                  Participant

Timo, thanks for the motivation!

Because of you, I started doing my one-armed chins by adding weight again. I sort of slacked off on that over the years. Nothing tears me up more than one-armed chins. I have to pay especially close attention to proper training variable manipulations on that one.

So I also started doing finger pull-ups on my finger board; you may recall me talking about that board in one of my blog posts. Anyway, I’m up to adding 40 kg around my waist while chinning with only the first link of my fingers. I’m stoked and can’t wait to see where I’ll hit my limit.

In that same finger board write-up I mentioned my German friend who turned me on to pullups (and rock climbing). He was good friends with Wolfgang Guellich, one of the best climbers ever, who unfortunately died in a car accident. Anyway, Guellich wrote a climbing book in which he also talked about his training. As I recall, there’s a picture in there with him in an exercise physiology lab, hanging off a chin-up bar with only the first link of his middle fingers and 150 kg hanging around his waist. How’s that for motivation?! Of course now I also have deep respect for him seeking out scientists to improve his skills…back then I didn’t even realize there was such a field of study, nor to what extent it can turn you into a strength beast.

Dan

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
                    are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
                    compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Timo Lauttamus
                    Participant

[b]Quote from rjackson on December 18, 2013, 10:07[/b]
                      A feat like that one really has to see it to believe it.

Thanks,

i had to watch video few times before i believed it.

Is your full name Ruth Jackson?

Timo Lauttamus
                      Participant

[b]Quote from dwagman on December 19, 2013, 09:52[/b]
                        Timo, [b]thanks for the motivation!
                        [/b]
                        Because of you, I started doing my one-armed chins by adding weight again. I sort of slacked off on that over the years. Nothing tears me up more than one-armed chins. I have to pay especially close attention to proper training variable manipulations on that one.

So I also started doing finger pull-ups on my finger board; you may recall me talking about that board in one of my blog posts. Anyway, I’m up to adding 40 kg around my waist while chinning with only the first link of my fingers. I’m stoked and can’t wait to see where I’ll hit my limit.

In that same finger board write-up I mentioned my German friend who turned me on to pullups (and rock climbing). He was good friends with Wolfgang Guellich, one of the best climbers ever, who unfortunately died in a car accident. Anyway, Guellich wrote a climbing book in which he also talked about his training. As I recall, there’s a picture in there with him in an exercise physiology lab, hanging off a chin-up bar with only the first link of his middle fingers and 150 kg hanging around his waist. How’s that for motivation?! Of course now I also have deep respect for him seeking out scientists to improve his skills…back then I didn’t even realize there was such a field of study, nor to what extent it can turn you into a strength beast.

Dan

[img]http://www.jopp.us/brainpower2.jpg[/img]

Thanks Dan,

you’re welcome.

I have been using training system as 80/20?

80% of training: one arm assisted variations

20% of training: weighted chins

My best two armed pull up on wooden board (four finger crimp grip):

+20kg on 1/2″ board
                        +42,5kg on 3/4″ board

Wolfgang Güllich was absolutely way over his time, stunt coordinator of Sly’s movie named Cliffhanger, perhaps most strong handed climber in the history, he’s been biggest inspiration of my finger strength training. I would be more than glad to see that picture of his two middle fingers hang!! I remember when i saw picture of his middle fingers cambus board (3/4″) climb, it was certainly out of my understanding!!

dwagman
                        Participant

Timo, that’s cool that you know about Wolfgang. Yeah, WAAAAY ahead of his time and his finger and chin strength blows the mind, even today. I met him once in a climbing store in town that one of his buddy’s owned. The saddest thing is that I didn’t even know who he was at the time. My climbing/chinup friend filled me in.

Going a bit off lifting topic, you might be interested to know that one of Wolfgang’s best buddies was Kurt Albert, who grew up in the same town I did. Kurt, unfortunately, is dead, too. He did a tough climb in the area where I grew up and used to climb with my buddy. He got done with the climb and sat down on top of the wall, blacked out, and fell to his death (well, he didn’t die on the spot). At any rate, there’s an old picture of Wolfgang and Kurt doing a one-armed chin together on a chinup bar, facing each other, just hanging there, and smiling. AWESOME!

Just before Kurt died he did a documentary movie. Actually, his death occurred half-way through the movie and they had to complete it without him. That movie came out this year and is called Jäger des Augenblicks. Not sure how good your German is, but if you’re into climbing I recommend you watch it. These guys are on a different level when it comes to finger strength and pullups.

I’m going to send my climbing friend an e-mail now and ask him if he would be able to scan that picture of Wolfgang hanging there with 150 kg. If he can do it and if I get that image, I’ll let you know and share it with you.

Man, now I’m all pumped talking about this stuff…kinda like a teenager who gets a hard-on for no apparent reason…I’ve gotta go and chin now…YEAH!

-Dan

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Timo Lauttamus
                          Participant

[b]Quote from dwagman on December 20, 2013, 14:59[/b]
                            Timo, that’s cool that you know about Wolfgang. Yeah, WAAAAY ahead of his time and his finger and chin strength blows the mind, even today. I met him once in a climbing store in town that one of his buddy’s owned. The saddest thing is that I didn’t even know who he was at the time. My climbing/chinup friend filled me in.

Going a bit off lifting topic, you might be interested to know that one of Wolfgang’s best buddies was Kurt Albert, who grew up in the same town I did. Kurt, unfortunately, is dead, too. He did a tough climb in the area where I grew up and used to climb with my buddy. He got done with the climb and sat down on top of the wall, blacked out, and fell to his death (well, he didn’t die on the spot). At any rate, there’s an old picture of Wolfgang and Kurt doing a one-armed chin together on a chinup bar, facing each other, just hanging there, and smiling. AWESOME!

Just before Kurt died he did a documentary movie. Actually, his death occurred half-way through the movie and they had to complete it without him. That movie came out this year and is called Jäger des Augenblicks. Not sure how good your German is, but if you’re into climbing I recommend you watch it. These guys are on a different level when it comes to finger strength and pullups.

I’m going to send my climbing friend an e-mail now and ask him if he would be able to scan that picture of Wolfgang hanging there with 150 kg. If he can do it and if I get that image, I’ll let you know and share it with you.

Man, now I’m all pumped talking about this stuff…kinda like a teenager who gets a hard-on for no apparent reason…I’ve gotta go and chin now…YEAH!

-Dan

Thanks Dan 🙂

Most of climbers are very humble, possible you can meet them without knowing, things what they’re doing makes them humble.

I’ve seen some pictures of Kurt Albert with Wolfgang.

My German skills are just approx. 10-20 words 🙂 but it’s not issue when watching interesting movie.

Btw, end of your post is epic 🙂

Timo Lauttamus
                            Participant

[b]Quote from rjackson on December 20, 2013, 16:28[/b]
                              [quote][b]Quote from Timo Lauttamus on December 20, 2013, 10:06[/b]
                              [quote][b]Quote from rjackson on December 18, 2013, 10:07[/b]
                              A feat like that one really has to see it to believe it.

Thanks,

i had to watch video few times before i believed it.

Is your full name Ruth Jackson?[/quote]

Yes. RJ is a habit from being in field units (Army). Back then it was not wise to submit documents like letters of recommendation or evaluations or awards or anything signed with a female name. The Germans use to make fun of my soldiers when they found out I was in charge so I would tell my men just don’t tell them.

The only finger feat I can do is 2-finger pull-up with my bodyweight. I could do a chin with 50 lb x 1 rep but using a V-bar. However I cannot even move my body off the ground trying a 1-arm chin or 1 finger. Thus I have a great appreciation for your feats of strength but most importantly because of your adherence to maintaining strict form and technique. [/quote]

Thanks Ruth 🙂

I always try to keep strict form, injury level is lower (even controlled one finger chin up is not even nearly safe).

Two middle fingers chin up is very impressive for female, makes some of males to leave the building 🙂

I have never seen video of female doing one arm chin up, i heard some of female climbers has those skills.

Randy Smith
                              Participant

Timo,

Your one finger one arm pull up is truly awesome! Once upon a time I was serious rock climber (1970’s to mid 80’s). John Gill was the first person I ever knew of doing this feat. His background was in gymnastics rather than weightlifting. He is now in his 70’s and is a retired college math professor living in Pueblo Colorado. In his day he was probably the most accomplished “boulderer” on the planet. He has a website, http://www.johngill.net , that has some things about competitive rope climbing and some body weight feats that may be of interest to USAWAers, as well as historical aspects of rock climbing and bouldering. I hadn’t thought about John in a long time. Your post prompted me to look him up and see what he’s up to.

Thank you,

Randy

Randy Smith
                                Participant

Also, regarding women doing one arm pull ups: I vaguely remembered a woman circus performer who could do an unbelievable number of one arm chin ups. She was Lillian Leitzel (1892-1931). I just found her through John Gill’s website. She reportedly did 26 one arm chins, although apparently did some swinging to accomplish that feat. Still….. There is a video of her circus performance on youtube.

Randy

Timo Lauttamus
                                  Participant

[b]Quote from Randy Smith on December 22, 2013, 13:32[/b]
                                    Timo,

Your one finger one arm pull up is truly awesome! Once upon a time I was serious rock climber (1970’s to mid 80’s). John Gill was the first person I ever knew of doing this feat. His background was in gymnastics rather than weightlifting. He is now in his 70’s and is a retired college math professor living in Pueblo Colorado. In his day he was probably the most accomplished “boulderer” on the planet. He has a website, http://www.johngill.net , that has some things about competitive rope climbing and some body weight feats that may be of interest to USAWAers, as well as historical aspects of rock climbing and bouldering. I hadn’t thought about John in a long time. Your post prompted me to look him up and see what he’s up to.

Thank you,

Randy

Thanks Randy 🙂

I’ve been emailing some of my youtube OAC links to John Gill. He was replying always 🙂 His website is awesome with those historical bodyweight feats. John has done one arm pull ups on half inch ledge @ 180lbs!! That’s WAY harder than middle finger OAC.

I know few boulderers in Finland and they seems to be cool dudes after all, myself i’ve been bouldering only few times. I would like to do it more awhile focusing for finger deadlifts, i think bouldering gives good workload. Issue with finger deads is tearing skin even with minor workload.

dwagman
                                    Participant

The only finger feat I can do is 2-finger pull-up with my bodyweight. I could do a chin with 50 lb x 1 rep but using a V-bar. However I cannot even move my body off the ground trying a 1-arm chin or 1 finger. Thus I have a great appreciation for your feats of strength but most importantly because of your adherence to maintaining strict form and technique.

Hey RJ, didn’t you recently break the USAWA pullup record at one of Al’s RB’s?! Don’t sell yourself short.

-d

Dan

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.