Home Forums General Discussion Thom goes 2 a-days

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Thom goes 2 a-days

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Tedd made a comeback later on….sort of. That’s what happens when you try a routine like that when you haven’t worked out for awhile. I think he is sufficiently mad enough at himself that he will return home and begin working for round two when he comes home for Christmas. I completed the entire program and my right knee was a little sore and my left hip was sore (but then again, it’s always sore). I’m hoping to be at 275 by March. I’ve lost 16lbs since August.

Yes, my routine was written down and it took up 8 pages including the motivational speech I had prepared for Tedd which went like this:

You know there ain’t no tricks to throwin’ far so no sense us going down that same old road again.

To win, you need speed….and you don’t have it. If you can’t be faster, then you damn sure better be stronger.

And your knees can’t take the pounding and you probably got some arthritis and calcium deposits on your shoulder so high rep throwin’ is out

So what we’ll be callin’ on is good old fashioned blunt force STRENGTH

Horse power, heavy duty, cast iron, pile drivin’ throws that will go so far it will rattle his ancestors

Every time you throw, it will snap his neck so hard lookin’ that it will feel like he tried kissin’ the express train.

Ain’t no shortcuts, ain’t no excuses, at our age you ain’t got no time to wait……because we ain’t got too many more tomorrows……

So let’s start buildin’ to throw some bombs

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Tedd Van Vleck
          Participant

I have to admit, it was tough and I did NOT keep up! Hopefully by Christmas it will be another story. I was training hard until the middle of August 2009 and I haven’t touched a weight since then. So I am trying to get back into it and am planning to compete in my first USAWA meet next year!

I brought the train back home Sunday….it is Tuesday…..and I am still sore!!!!!

Al Myers
            Keymaster

Great job Tedd – sometime those “bootcamp” training weeks are the best way to jumpstart a serious training program. Now just keep after it. But I wonder – was Thom “barking” that ridiculous poem of his at you while you were training? I have a vision of Thom acting like a drill sergeant throughout the entire week. Al

Thom Van Vleck
              Participant

…..Well, if you have seen Rocky IV you will recognize that I stole that speech from the movie when Appolo Creed’s old trainer was talking to Rocky about training for the big fight. I just changed a few things to make it more relevant. He’s an old, bald guy, like me. So I delivered the speech like he did in the movie.

But when I have to….being a Marine….I can channel my inner drill instructor…..hahahaha

Thom Van Vleck

Tedd Van Vleck
                Participant

Well, I guess I will share MY side of the story. I completely missed the last day of the workouts due to being sore from how out of shape I have let myself get into over the last 15 months, I admit to that. However, regarding me missing the very first workout, when I arrived home from Chicago I was told about the itinerary but was not allowed to see it…..I was told about it as he was heading downstairs so I had to wrap up what I was doing before heading down and was a little late.

Now as for the Christmas workouts, I will participate and complete every workout with him because I should have my feet back under me.

I will share my goal with everyone for a little accountability on here. My current weight is 273 lbs…..ok, everyone can close there mouth…..my goal is to be down to 230lbs and lift in the 105kg weight class. I chose the 105kg weight class because Chad “THE CHAMP” Ullom is lifting in the 110kg class and if my very first USAWA meet has me going up against the CHAMP….I may never try again!

So I am excited and I am trying to recruit a couple Highland Games throwers from Chicago to road trip down with me and compete.

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

“not allowed to see it”??? What was this – a secret workout program? Or was Thom too busy writing motivational speeches and forgot about the little things like lifts, reps, and sets?? haha I wish I was there to see it!!! Al

Thom Van Vleck
                    Participant

It was 8 pages, Al….and it was full of sets, reps, and excruciating details. Only 4 pages of it was motivational speeches…..HAHAHAHAHA

Thom Van Vleck

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.