The Arnold

Home Forums General Discussion The Arnold

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      KCSTRONGMAN
      Keymaster

Has anyone heard anything about this?
        STRONGMAN happenings…
        The word is that the Lorimers and Arnold got into a huge argument which ended with them severing ties as business partners.
        Next year Arnold will be moving the event to Santa Monica, CA
        No amateur events. Over half all sporting events cut
        If you are in strongman say by bye to the Arnold.
        Maybe you can win a spot to OSG with the online qualifier.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

KCSTRONGMAN
        Keymaster

I know this is not all-round related, but I know a number of us have attended the Arnold before.

Chad Ullom
          Participant

That will be too bad. Tremendous event that offers alot of opportunities

dwagman
            Participant

When I was the Health & Science Editor at Muscle & Fitness I had to go to many an “Arnold.” Arnold and Jim Lorimer were pretty good friends for a long time. I wonder what happened.

One of the years I went I reported in Powerlifting USA on what I observed when Anthony Clark reverse benched 700-something. I was on the platform right next to the right-side judge. The huge crowd was roaring with enthusiasm for Anthony and as he drove the bar off his chest it ended up against the uprights and he slid it up the uprights but it got caught under the lips at the top and he wasn’t able to lock it out nor rack it without help. He got white lights nevertheless and I wrote that this was in error as it was clearly a bad lift. Somehow Jim Lorimer found out about that and wrote a nasty letter to Muscle & Fitness about me and accused me of prevarications. What a jerk. Since we were lifting buddies who went way back to the first ever Bench Press World Championships, Anthony called me and wanted to know why I wrote that. I told him why and he ended up agreeing with my assessment but also stating…and I could just see the smirk on his face over the phone…”I did get white lights though.” I always knew him to be a class act.

Anyway, the Arnold was a zoo then, I can’t even imagine what it must be like since then. I thought that there were too many sports and events as it is. So perhaps this’ll be a good thing. Ever since I got involved in all-round I couldn’t help but wonder why USAWA didn’t have an annual event there showcasing some of the historically great lifts…

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
              are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
              compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

KCSTRONGMAN
              Keymaster

Interesting story, Dan. I have always thought that an all-round presence at something like this could be a good thing. Problem is a org of volunteers, and I dont know how much of a presence we have in Ohio any more. I have thought of looking at some more local exhibitions, where we at least couple with a strongman and pl event with a few vendors to drum up some interest. I know Denny has done a couple meets out at york which were very cool, that had some PL traffic and such. I would love to do some more stuff like that, but we have to have some people step up (like Denny did) to make it happen.
                ET

KCSTRONGMAN
                Keymaster

I also know floor space at the arnold comes with a high premium, so we would need more that 5 competitors at a low entry fee to make it feasible.

dwagman
                  Participant

ET, you’ve got some good ideas there and you’re also right about needing volunteers. This is all more easily said than done…unfortunately. And now USAWA will need volunteers in Santa Monica, eh? I competed in a lot of Muscle Beach strict curl and strongman events…they’d LOVE to see a Steinborn and Hack floorpress out there…

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Thom Van Vleck
                    Participant

I’m curious where you heard this, ET. I can’t find anything on the interwebs. Not doubting, just curious.

Thom Van Vleck
                      Jackson Weightlifting Club
                      Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

KCSTRONGMAN
                      Keymaster

It was something that was posted on Facebook. That is about all I have seen about it, so maybe it is make believe?

dwagman
                        Participant

Thom, if you go to the Arnold website you’ll see that it was in Santa Monica this year. I’m sure that if you dig deeper in to that website you’ll be able to see what sports were/were not represented.

Dan

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.