Sumo deadlift allowed at the Grip Champs?

Home Forums General Discussion Sumo deadlift allowed at the Grip Champs?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ben Edwards
      Participant

Sumo deadlift allowed at the Grip Champs?

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Al Myers
        Keymaster

Ben, the Sumo DL is not against any rules of deadlfts in the USAWA, unless foot stance is specifically stated, ie heels together or 12″ base. All 3 deadlift events in the Grip Nationals (DL -3″bar, DL – middle fingers, and DL – FB, CG) all state in their rules “the rules of the deadlift apply”. In the rule of the deadlift, it clearly states that “width of feet placement is optional”. So – not a problem with sumo pulls, all of which are perfectly within the rules. Where did you ever get the idea that sumo pulls were illegal?? Al PS haha I think I know – I was there that day when you got this “misinformation”.

Ben Edwards
          Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on December 26, 2010, 10:33[/b]
            Ben, the Sumo DL is not against any rules of deadlfts in the USAWA, unless foot stance is specifically stated, ie heels together or 12″ base. All 3 deadlift events in the Grip Nationals (DL -3″bar, DL – middle fingers, and DL – FB, CG) all state in their rules “the rules of the deadlift apply”. In the rule of the deadlift, it clearly states that “width of feet placement is optional”. So – not a problem with sumo pulls, all of which are perfectly within the rules. Where did you ever get the idea that sumo pulls were illegal?? Al PS haha I think I know – I was there that day when you got this “misinformation”.

Thanks for the clarification! You’re right about where I got that info. I wasn’t trying to be a smart aleck with that question. On some of the other weight training forums I frequent the sumo deadlift is viewed as not even a real deadlift. So I figured I’d better make sure I wasn’t going to be surprised at the contest because I hadn’t checked the rulebook.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.