Slim and Dave Draper

Home Forums General Discussion Slim and Dave Draper

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      KCSTRONGMAN
      Keymaster

I know this is not USAWA related, but did you guys see that Slim “The Hammer Man” Farman and Dave Draper both dies over the last couple days?
        ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Lance Foster
        Participant

I saw that, too. The strength world lost 2 legends. I remember seeing a TV show that featured Slim doing sledge hammer leveraging. I was probably around 10. I thought it was pretty incredible.

The Gloved One

Denny Habecker
          Participant

I saw that. I saw Slim perform at the Old time Barbell and Strongman banquet a couple of times and he showed up at one of John Vernacchio’s Meets in Limerick one time in the late 90’s.

KCSTRONGMAN
            Keymaster

That is cool, Den. I wish the OTBS was still thing. I always dreamed of going when I was a pup, and now it is gone.
              ET

Denny Habecker
              Participant

The AOBS [Association of Oldetime Barbell & Strongmen] is still going Eric. I just sent in my donation for their newsletter. Vic Boff is gone, but it is run by Artie Drechsler now. Their website is http://www.aobs.cc .

KCSTRONGMAN
                Keymaster

I’ll be darned. I cannot remember who I was talking to, but they said while someone was trying to get it back up and running. it was currently defunct. This is good to hear. Have you been in the past few years?

KCSTRONGMAN
                  Keymaster

That website is not coming up for me.

Lance Foster
                    Participant

Try this link:

http://weightlifting.org/newsite/about-the-aobs/

The Gloved One

Denny Habecker
                      Participant

I haven’t been to their banquet since John Vernacchio died. I used to go with him and Dick Durante. Now they are both gone.

KCSTRONGMAN
                        Keymaster

How far are they from where you are Den? and who would I go about contacting for a newsletter?

KCSTRONGMAN
                          Keymaster

And by “they” I mean where the banquet is held.

Denny Habecker
                            Participant

To get the newsletter, send a $25 check for AOBS to The Association of Oldetime
                              Barbell & Strongmen
                              53 Albertson Ave.
                              Albertson, NY 11507
                              The banquets have been held at the Newark/Liberty Airport Marriott, Newark, New Jersey

Al Myers
                              Keymaster

It was sad to see both Slim and Dave Draper pass away so close to the same time.

I had met Slim once at the famous York meet a few years ago. He was very cordial to me but I remember him giving Thom the “grip down” when he shook his hand and made Thom squirm. I made sure to give Slim a “manly handshake” while I think Thom was a little weak with his shake.

Dave D was at his bodybuilding prime when I started lifting, and I was always in awe of his massive build. I read everything he had to say on his website, and corresponded with him via email several times. I bought his top squat device which I have used alot in the past few years. He was very passionate and proud about his development of it.

Both great guys and legends in the game of strength.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.