Thom Van Vleck
      Participant

secrets

Thom Van Vleck
        Jackson Weightlifting Club
        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Joe Garcia
        Participant

That sounds so weird. You and Chad have secrets?

Chad Ullom
          Participant

How do I get dragged into these things?

Al Myers
            Keymaster

And it involves laying down???? Hmmm….

Chad – I thought I was the only guy you would share a bed with!!

Scott Tully
              Participant

i have a lifting secret Id like to share.

Its not ME or DE days, its not hanging Kettlebells off the bar so that flop around like a pair of bull balls, its not periodization or the conjugate method,I dont squat divebomb style onto a 9″ foam pad, here it is………………….

I take a bar and I put weights on it, I then lifts said bar, if it feels too light I put more of those weights on there and lift that, if its still too light………..well you get the picture.

Im in a mood today, the gym is going to pay, lol, well it will after the 30 minutes it will take me to hobble down the stairs at Lons.

ST

Participant

“hanging Kettlebells off the bar so that flop around like a pair of bull balls”
                  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT HAS GOT TO BE AN ALL TIME BEST!!!! HAHAHAHA

well done, scotty. well done!!!! hahahahahaha

Thom Van Vleck
                  Participant

I can’t wait to go to Al’s again and hear some more Chad stories. Those get better every time I hear them! What, with all the “increased disclosure” with each telling! It’s like a Pizza that you take a slice and when you open the box there’s two slices in it’s place…yeah, a magic pizza….

Thom Van Vleck

Mark Mitchell
                    Participant

Scott is right about the “secrets” of getting stronger.I get so tired of hearing about conjugate this or 5-3-1 that.Sharing training programs is great but to discuss them at length as if they are the end all,the SECRET,is just ludicrous.Larry Pacifico once stated,’Everything Works and Nothing Works” meaning we all have to find a training regimen that fits each of us as individuals.Just put da__ weight on the bar and lift! I guess all-around lifting does not get much into this issue.This is out of powerlifting camps mainly.

Chad Ullom
                      Participant

Thom, those stories get better because Al keeps adding things to them! That’s OK, I have some stories too. Next time I see you, remind me to tell you why it’s really called the Dino gym!

Mark,
                        Easy on the 5-3-1, Dave just started that! He and Al and lengthy email exchanges regarding that program.

Scott Tully
                        Participant

The funny thing about 5-3-1 is that alot of us already do something similar, the issue I have with alot of these programs is that they dont account for variables like having a off day, or having a day where you feel stronger. the biggest issue is that what works for some doesnt work for others, Mark and I train 3x a week together and we do some of the same stuff and then we also do some different for the exact reason that certain things work for me that dont work for him and vice versa. I go into most workouts with a idea of what I want to hit, sometimes I go heavier, sometimes lighters depensing on how its feeling.

ST

Al Myers
                          Keymaster

Scott is right. Hard work is the real secret. Everything else is truly just “fluff”. Al

Thom Van Vleck
                            Participant

My uncle Phil told me over and over…”The only time work comes after success is in the dictionary!!!”

Thom Van Vleck

Participant

5/3/1 makes sense to me for the simple reason that it makes sense. lol when i was just out of college, i did the 5 x 5. same weight for 5 sets and two seesions a week on each lift i was so fried after 5 weeks, i made no gains. but, in my own defense, i did’nt know any better. i think most guys are grossly over trainted. as i get older, the american attitude of “if one is good, two is better and three is just right” is what i ran under and it is just WRONG. you have to RECOVER!! end of story….

Scott Tully
                                Participant

thats what I was saying you have ot find what works for you Dave. Im not hating on the 5/3/1 program, jsut a few aspects of it dont work for me, one is that at several points you end up doing a high number of DL for reps, for me thats a recipe for disaster.

ST

Mark Mitchell
                                  Participant

Sorry if I trampled on anyone’s program.We all use some type of system.I adjust mine all of the time and have used elements of many different kinds of programs.My point was/is that there is no secret to getting stronger,putting up bigger lifts.It involves many factors including consistency in the gym,diet,sleep,mental well being,lifting progressively heavier weights.If we get roped into one system that others have capitalized on as the “Secret”,we are likely doomed to failure.

Al Myers
                                    Keymaster

I have always kept a training log. From the first day I lifted a weight I have “recorded” my workout. Every year I start a new log so I now have a stack of these old logs that is quite high! I occasionally look back at them and remember all of the old workout programs I have tried in the past. Some worked, some didn’t, and some worked once but not again. I have tried out about EVERY program at least once. As I look at some of the old programs I tried I wonder now why I even wasted my time on them!! But I believed in them at the time I tried them. Weight training is an ongoing self experiment. The only problem is once you have it all figured out your body is worn out!! haha Al

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.