Second Quarter Postal at Clark's with Odds and Ends

Home Forums General Discussion Second Quarter Postal at Clark's with Odds and Ends

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Abe Smith
      Participant

June 5th I did the 2nd Quarter Postal. Did not go as well as planned. I ripped both callouses under pinky finger. Still got 315 on the right hand. Trying to lean to just push off with legs and not fully lock out and it is creating havoc with my balance on the lift. Pull over and press got 275. I tried heavier but I think I put my grip too narrow and the damn bar got too low for me to get a good press on it. Then only 75 lbs with reverse strict curl. I tried 85 got it 3/4 way up and came unglued from the back rest. Ole Clark will mail in my results with the others from Clark’s Gym. I think the 275 was a record though. Decent Results for the BSAG is as follows:
        Turkish Get up with barbell: 100 lbs., I had 110 lbs up and out but left elbow bent a little bit.
        1 H DB, clean push press: 100×4 reps, then did 45 lbs for 41 reps with my right hand.
        Bar and dumbbell anyhow: I got 150. I was able to get much more weight overhead with my left hand (135 lbs) but I lacked the thoracic spine movement to get my down to the dumbbell to pick it up. It was frustrating.
        Alternating grip clean got up to 235. Very easy to complete for me.
        Seated press 165×4, then I was able to do 80lbs for 22 reps in a minute.

Several other lifts were completed but nothing I thought was interesting to post. See everyone at Nationals.

KCSTRONGMAN
        Keymaster

Nice lifting, Abe. What is the bsag? We are planning on doing our postal lifts after nats.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Abe Smith
          Participant

Hey Eric, BSAG is the British Strength Athletes Guild. They host a monthly postal called the Ron Walker Memorial Postal Series. The BSAG is similar to the IAWA except their focus is this Ron Walker Memorial. The guy who started it, Tony Cook, is one of the founders of the IAWA back in the 80’s. The format is similar to our postal except they have a lift for 4 reps, then they take that same lift and then do how many reps you can do within 1 minute. For example, they will do the snatch, clean jerk, clean press, pull over and pressx4, then pull over and press as many times as possible for one minute. The BSAG does not have any social media or internet presence. I can forward you contact information if you want. Just shoot me your email. My email is axsmith@att.net. The cool thing about the BSAG postal is it gives you monthly exercises to work that you can kind of program around. Also not knowing who Ron Walker was I looked him up and is one of the greatest English lifters ever.

My first plan was to do the quarterly stuff at Nats, but was told that there would be limited time to fit in additional stuff so I talked Ole Clark into fitting me in on Saturday. Hopefully my pinkies will heal up in time. Also told no time to fit in additional record lifts. I am fine with both of those limitations on my end. Mostly coming into Nats to see some folks I have never met and see Al’s gym. My first USAWA Nats was in 2000 in Columbia, MO and I never went to another Nats.

Al Myers
            Keymaster

The BSAG is another all round weightlifting organization in England besides the IAWA-UK. The BSAG and the IAWAUK are completely separate – just like the many different powerlifting organizations. The BSAG is affiliated with the United States all round weightlifting organization the ASAG (American Strength Athletics Guild), just as the IAWAUK is affiliated with the USAWA.

KCSTRONGMAN
              Keymaster

Huh. i guess I did not realize ASAG was still a thing. The website seems quite defunct.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

RJ
                Participant

If I lived near Clark’s gym, I would be at every meet. It sounds great!

Abe Smith
                  Participant

We have a good time. Lots of laughs all around and sometimes good lifting. Clark has lots of stories to share and I like to listen.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.