Plates loaded in or out: Does it matter?

Home Forums General Discussion Plates loaded in or out: Does it matter?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      KCSTRONGMAN
      Keymaster

What do you all vote? Should plates be loaded facing in, facing out, or it makes no difference whatsoever?
        ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Okay, so the way I was taught when I started lifting in 1977 was the first plates faced in and then every plate after that faced out. I was told this was so the name of the manufacturer would be seen. Essentially free advertising. As the manufacturer often donated weights to big competitions and they wanted to get due recognition. On a personal level I don’t care as long as they are the same on each side. However, I know done guys who are particular about it to the point they will unload and reload a bar not to their liking!

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Chris Todd
          Participant

This guy seems to have pretty definite ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qffp-38_ycE

KCSTRONGMAN
            Keymaster

Ha-That is Mark Rippentoe. I have one of his books.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Denny Habecker
              Participant

I was always told to put the first plate facing in and all the others facing out. That way it is easier for the officials to see that the bar is loaded correctly.

Al Myers
                Keymaster

Denny is correct on the proper plate placement for competitions. There are no USAWA rules that specifically address this however, but other lifting associations (like olympic lifting and powerlifting) do.

Now my personal preference for training is always flanges in for all the big plates. I’ve seen plates slip out of hands loading and causing injury. I feel its easier (and safer) to hold onto plates as you push them on and pull them off if your fingers can grip over the flanges of the plates.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.