Oliver Quinn

Home Forums General Discussion Oliver Quinn

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom Ryan
      Participant

Has anybody thought about trying to recruit Oliver Quinn to the USAWA? He is in his early 30s and he and his family recently moved from Ireland to Austin, Texas. He is quite strong, especially for his size, as he weighs 203 or so and can bent press about 200. He is also good at other lifts but he seems to particularly excel at pressing, including side presses.

Tom

RJ
        Participant

I looked him up and he is a “StrongFirst: School of Strength” certified instructor.

Too me it looks like CrossFit where they have their own competitions. They do flexed arm hang, deadlift, kettlebell snatches for reps, one-leg squat, pull up for reps … in the Novice, open and elite divisions.

He is a promoter of StrongFirst (established 2013) that has really cool “Tactical Strength Challenges” and such. I just don’t think that people who are into the newest, up and coming, hyped sports are going to interested in USAWA.

However I don’t think it would hurt to try. He does pinky finger lifts, has an Inch Db and a strong bent press like you said.

-RJ

Tom Ryan
          Participant

He has competed in Ireland’s Strongest Man competition and last year finished 7th out of 13 competitors in the 95 kg and under class. He recently gained about 12 pounds and bent pressed 215 weighing 214. Needless to say, that is a big bent press, especially relative to bodyweight.

I doubt if anyone maintains a world ranking list for bent presses, but if anyone does so, my guess would be Dale Harder, as he does construct lists for other lifts and I was pleased that I made one of those lists many years ago. So maybe I will shoot him a message and inquire. I would be somewhat surprised if any U.S. lifter would have a higher formula rating that Quinn.

Since Oliver is one of my Facebook friends, I will send him a message and mention the USAWA and IAWA.

Tom

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.