Home Forums General Discussion Nitpicking

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom Ryan
      Participant

Nitpicking

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Tom, reminds me of a comedy show a few years back when the resident goof ball said, “Did you know flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?…boy, did I learn that the hard way”.

I agree on the crappy weather putting one in a cranky mood…..I’m there! Ready for some sunshine but I have feeling it will be awhile.

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Tom, haha I’m not going to argue or inargue with you on the proper use of words! After all the errors you found of mine in the Rule Book review – I fear you like I did my Sophomore English teacher!

Steve definitely has had dominance in the Hip, Back and Harness Lifts thru the history of the USAWA. But with the Neck and Hand and Thigh Lifts – others have done more even though I consider Steve pretty good at those lifts as well. Here’s my top 5 Heavy Lifters of All-Time in the USAWA:

1. Steve Schmidt
            2. Frank Ciavattone
            3. Howard Prechtel
            4. Joe Garcia
            5. John Carter

And in that ORDER! Al

Al Myers
            Keymaster

The mystery of the hands???? ! I can only guess as to when this picture was taken – possibly the 1991 Zercher??? It appears 20 years old (from Bill’s dark hair) and Steve put up a big hip lift that day (2200# – 900# more than the NEXT competitor). Several of the plates on the bar are not 100#s, but rather deep dish 45’s. The wrist and hands appear thick, thus ruling out Dave Hahn, Al Springs, and Dale. Also, I notice the watch is on the left arm, meaning the person in question is probably right handed. My guess is that it is YOU TOM!!! Al PS How close am I on this?

Tom Ryan
              Participant

No, not me, Al. You are right that the photo is from a Zercher Meet. One person here should get the answer since he was there, as I was. I’ll give the answer shortly if he doesn’t jump in.

Tom Ryan
                Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on January 10, 2011, 08:44[/b]
                  Tom, haha I’m not going to argue or inargue with you on the proper use of words! After all the errors you found of mine in the Rule Book review – I fear you like I did my Sophomore English teacher!

Steve definitely has had dominance in the Hip, Back and Harness Lifts thru the history of the USAWA. But with the Neck and Hand and Thigh Lifts – others have done more even though I consider Steve pretty good at those lifts as well. Here’s my top 5 Heavy Lifters of All-Time in the USAWA:

1. Steve Schmidt
                  2. Frank Ciavattone
                  3. Howard Prechtel
                  4. Joe Garcia
                  5. John Carter

And in that ORDER! Al

I don’t think of the neck lift as being a heavy lift, Al. It certainly wasn’t for me as I never had any interest in trying a limit lift in something I didn’t consider safe, so my best in competition was only 280. There was one meet in which a lifter mentioned having a tingling in his arm after doing a neck lift. That was enough to convince me to put discretion before valor, as if I needed any more convincing! LOL Actually, Steve was also king of the hand-and-thigh lift in the very distant past. That was before Joe emerged and eventually blew past everybody.

Tom Ryan
                  Participant

I almost forgot to give the answer to my quiz question. The hands belong to Brian Meek.

Thom Van Vleck
                    Participant

Tom, I kept checking back here….wondering!

On a side note, I’ve been talking to Harry Johnson! What a great guy!

Thom Van Vleck
                      Jackson Weightlifting Club
                      Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.