• Author
      Tom Ryan
      Participant

Lynch Formula

Roger Davis
        Participant

All,

Guys,

I didn’t do much other than pass on the details that Ian Lynch had given me some 10yrs ago.

I have a magazine article somewhere where Ian presents his rationale for the “new formula” and the basis for the calculation.

I will try and did it out and scan it to Al for his consideration.

regards

Roger

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Tom – I apologize to you for thinking that you could “reverse engineer” a complicated formula like this from a data set. You were absolutely correct in what you told me!! I’m hoping that we can eventually get more insight to how Ian Lynch went about developing this formula (and I hope it is more than him just changing a few numbers in the O’Carroll Formula to “flatten” out the ends of the curve).

I will say this again – Formulas are a poor way of comparing lifters of different bodyweights, but it is the best means we got. Regardless of what correction formula is used, there will ALWAYS be those who think it is unfair (either favors the lighter or heavier lifters). Al

Tom Ryan
            Participant

Apology accepted, Al. 🙂 I agree there is no “accurate” way to do it. How much should a 380-pound lifter be able to lift relative to what a 250-pound lifter lifts? What if the former is 6-6 and the latter is 5-11? Then the former has to move the bar much farther. Etc. Ask Jack Lano for his opinion of ranking lifters by formula. He bombarded me with articles related to this in addition to his (negative) opinions when I served on the committee to evaluate the Malone-Meltzer formula and choose between it and the Sinclair formula for Master’s Olympic lifting.

Tom

Al Myers
              Keymaster

Tom, I agree that formulas can NEVER be 100% accurate in evaluating lifting performances with the many variables present. This is even more pronounced with All-Round Weight Lifting and the many lifts we do – each of which should have it’s own formula theoretically. Olympic Lifting only has its two lifts to evaluate, and a much larger data base of lifting numbers to use in its analysis of picking the best “factors” in a comparative formula. That’s why the Sinclair Formula would NOT work in All-Round Lifting – it was based on only the Snatch and Clean and Jerk.

As it is, the heavy lifters will always say the Lynch Formula is “tilted” to the light lifters, and the light lifters will say it favors the heavier lifters. I need to take the time and do a study regarding the Lynch Formula and our record list. It would be interesting – but still our record list would not provide enough data to give a study of any statistical significance. When Ian Lynch wrote the original Lynch Formula, I am sure it could not have been based on any data, since none was really available 20 years ago. Al

Roger Davis
                Participant

Al,

On lynch formula an ant would beat an elephant in competition, but who wants to be an ant !!

Although formulas are great to try and compare lifters at different bodyweight lets never forget that the strongest guy is the one who lifted the most weight !

Just an observation from one of the “little guys” who sometimes beats the “big boys” of formula

Roger

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

I would rather be an elephant too!!!

Most guys as they start to weight train will gain bodyweight, often in the form of hard-earned muscle! After all, isn’t this everyone’s ultimate goal – to be bigger and stronger? Most young guys that may only weigh 150 pounds when they start lifting don’t stay at that weight long. They soon weigh 180 pounds.

Everyone knows my feelings on formulas, but still they are a MUST in an organization likes ours, where the number of lifters is limited. No competition between lifters would ever be generated without formulas.

Let me throw this out. Maybe it is best if the Lynch Formula DOESN’T give full credit to the light or heavy lifters. Just like the age adjustment we use doesn’t give full credit to the older lifters (I felt like I proved this with the study I did last year – and it is available on the website). The older guys should accept the fact they are not “better” than the young guys, and surely should realize that just because they might be better on formula still doesn’t mean they are better lifters. This is the same with light and heavy lifters. The “light weight” lifters should lift and gain some muscle, while the “heavy lifters” should maybe lose a few pounds of extra fat. With this I mean the light weight guys shouldn’t complain about a formula not favoring them because they don’t have enough muscle to lift heavy weights, and the heavy weight guys shouldn’t complain either just because their fat won’t help them lift more weight.

I will say this – our last two World Champions (Mark Haydock and Chad Ullom) LOOKED LIKE World Champions, and no one would doubt they were the “best of the best”. AL

PS I apologize if any of the frank comments I said may offend anyone, and my objective here is to stimulate discussion.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.