Home Forums General Discussion Last Call – Dino Challenge

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Last Call – Dino Challenge

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Looking forward to this! I saw that the high on Saturday was going to be 42! That’s a beautiful day as far as I’m concerned!!!

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Everything is ready to go for this weekend! All I got left to do is some light cleaning and setup. We will have a All-Round weightlifting legend in attendance this weekend. I talked to Wilbur Miller last night on the phone and he’s planning on coming! That is exciting! Al

Travis Willingham
            Participant

Wish I could come. I still hold out hope that my wife wont have to go into work leaving me free of baby duty to rush out there and play.

Al Myers
              Keymaster

Travis – I KNOW you would enjoy all round lifting! It is more laid back than powerlifting or strongman comps – most lifters just come to have a good time. All Round lifting can be very humbling (to say the least) so the sheer nature of it keeps lifters away that have big egos. You may excel at one lift and then completely suck at the next lift. That’s just the way it is. Al

Travis Willingham
                Participant

Some of those lifts this weekend look like they’d humble many.

I think the Goerner stroll looks nasty. I mean when you think of a farmer’s walk, you’re thinking a few hundred per hand but using a bar will drastically reduce what people will be able to do. The wrist control involved will be huge as well. I think even 135 per hand would be a huge number.

Same with the snatch with the plank. Not that I’ve ever snatched but I imagine the gripping element will keep the weights down.

And the Dinnie lift of course brings a different element with the use of rings, that will definitely bring some pain to the hands. I originally was naive in my thinking of the lift and thinking 734 wasn’t much for what amounted to like a 20″ DL, but then the rings, the twisting and torque involved … It’s an odd lift.

Honestly, when I came home from Scotland after lifting the Dinnie Stones, I became bored with standard lifts and even with iron weight. No amount of deadlifting is going to make you good at the Goerner stroll this weekend. And I’d even say no amount of snatching will make you excel at the Saxon Snatch. For one to excel at one of these comps truly requires all-round strength. It just seems cool to me and not nearly as boring as powerlifting. Whereas I may do well in powerlifting, these comps would kick my butt, but they look more fun.

Participant

see ya’ all tomorrow!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.