Kudos to Dan!

Home Forums General Discussion Kudos to Dan!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lance Foster
      Participant

Dan, I appreciate your initiative to enhance the processes of the USAWA. While I do not want to “volun-tell” you,I think that you are the ideal candidate to update the language of the rule book in toto, as per one of your previous suggestions, and then submit that draft to the Executive board for their review.

While this forum is not the true place to invoke parliamentary procedures, I nonetheless nominate Dan to rewrite the usawa rulebook as previously referenced. Do I have a second?

The Gloved One

Denny Habecker
        Participant

Second

Denny Habecker
          Participant

Your argument about if we are limiting record days to 5 lifts, then we should limit all meets to five lifts does not make sense. In a meet like the world’s or nationals that has more than 5 lifts, it will rare that someone will set a record in every lift.

dwagman
            Participant

Well, Lance, this is actually all YOUR fault. <grin> You see, some time back when I raised some of these proposal issues on this Forum, you indicated I should write it up for the membership to consider at the National Meeting. Of course you were absolutely correct. We can yap back and forth about stuff till doomsday but that won’t result in anything. So now these issues go before the membership and may the chips fall where they may.

As to copy editing the Rulebook, I believe the organization could find more competent help such as a copy editor. On the other hand, if the organization feels that it can settle for less competency, I’d be willing to contribute if we can come to an agreement.

Denny, for more on my argument about the 5-lift limit, please see the Proposals thread; I just posted a response. But to address your point, IF the main reason to have a 5-lift Record Day limit is to relieve the Records Director, then that burden exists for any meet that holds more than 5 lifts. At the 2012 Worlds I set World and/or USAWA records in all 7 lifts and there may have been some double-dipping that had to be recorded, too. I believe RJ did the same. At the 2019 Worlds I also would’ve exceeded the 5-lift limit had I not elected to enter the Open division. At that same meet our current Records Director set 10 records that had to be recorded. At the recent Bench Decathlon 23 records were set and at last year’s Dl Dozen+1 30 records were set (not counting double-dipping). I suspect there would be many more examples and at the end of the day I feel that the 5-lift Record Day limit deserves to be revisited—especially if the reason for it is to relieve the Records Director—and that rule amended or rescinded. After all, contesting a ton of different lifts and providing lifters with the opportunity to set and break a ton of records is this sport’s life-blood…why would we want to drain that blood?

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
              are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
              compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Al Myers
              Keymaster

I’d like to make a few comments regarding the proofing of the rule book.

I agree that there are many grammatical and other language errors. When the new rulebook was developed, it had input of a committee of several but I did most of the writing for it. I knew this was a weakness of mine as I’m not a good writer/editor. However, we did get help from Tom Ryan who edited/reviewed as a profession. I was amazed how many minor grammatical errors he found. So I feel the “first version” of the new rulebook was pretty clean. But we have added much content since then which I’m sure has many grammatical mistakes.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.