Injury

Home Forums General Discussion Injury

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Denny Habecker
      Participant

Yesterday I was doing one hand deadlifts. On my third set with only 70 Kg. I got a sharp pain in my bicep. I thought I had torn the muscle. . It is not torn, but is still very sore today. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this, and if you did, what was your recovery like? I am falling apart, my right shoulder is very painful when I try any pressing movements, and now the bicep really is putting a damper on my training.

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Denny, It seems like sometimes I get hurt and it’s okay the next day….other times they never quite go away. I have not had anything in the belly of my bicep but where it attaches into the forearm. Al Myers told me it’s my bicep tendon and it’s gonna blow! Thanks for the words of encouragement, Al! Hang in there, buddy. I hope you get well soon.

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

dwagman
          Participant

Denny, sorry to hear this. There are a few considerations to bear in mind.
            – Where is the pain? If it’s in the muscle belly, then you may have torn some muscle fibers and it’s likely to heal just fine. Still, practice RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate)
            – If the pain is low or high on the muscle, but still sorta on the muscle, then it’s possible that you have a Grade I – IV tear at the myotendinous junction, which depending on grade may require surgical repair.
            – If the pain is very high or very low, then it’s possible that you have a Grade I-IV tendon tear. The higher the grade tear, the more likely surgical intervention is necessary. If the pain is rather severe, it’s worth seeing a physician.

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
            are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
            compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Denny Habecker
            Participant

Thanks guys! The pain is pretty much gone, but the bicep reminds me every now and then that it’s still not right.
              Dan, the pain is in the belly of the muscle, so your comment makes me feel better about it.

Lance Foster
              Participant

Sounds like it’s on the mend. I wish you a quick recovery.

The Gloved One

KCSTRONGMAN
                Keymaster

A spell back, I pulled my right pec benching. It was not bad, and in a day or so, completely unnoticeable. So, the following week, I was benching again. Got to my second to last set, and on the last rep, it felt like it yanked a couple inches over toward my sternum. I thought for sure it was torn. However, no bruising. But i have babied it since then. Light DB nench and incline bench, very light flies. First time I tried to bench again, it was 135 for 5, and it really felt like I should not do more. I have been eeking it up, but dont want to chance a tear.

Glad your injury is moving in the right direction, Denjamin. Onward and upward.
                  ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Abe Smith
                  Participant

I do not know about biceps, but on the occasions where I have had muscle strains I try to do something like the Bill Starr protocol which is pretty much very light weight plenty of reps to just get the blood moving. I think it is like 3×25 is recommended then add a little weight every training session. The protocol calls for doing the same lift in which you hurt the muscle. But in a bicep case maybe really light curls can be an alternative, or maybe even the old long pulls/curl-squat/heavy hands stuff may help. I have used it for my back a lot and for times I do something that takes out my squats like groin strains and things.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.