Home Forums General Discussion Hip Belts

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Steve Freides
      Participant

Hip Belts

61pwcc
        Participant

Steve, one of the problems that would arise from the rule change is not being able to directly compare older records done with the 4″ belt width limit.
          Can you return the belt you bought? Let them know that it doesn’t ‘fit’ your needs.

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Steve, I have both ironmind dip and hip belts, and like them for some things in training but not the hip lift. At weights over 1000 pounds you will feel them stretch. Plus you want the belt to “dig in” at the points right over the hip bones for max leverage – wide belts put too much pressure on the lower lumbar. My hip belt is only 2.5″ wide, and I like it better than my 4 inch hip belts.

The 4″ inch max width requirement is the old standard for any regulation lifting belt, and that is the reason it was put in place in the rules to start with for the heavy lifts belts. I’ve never heard of anyone who does a lot of heavy lifting really wanting anything wider so I doubt if you would get much support in getting this changed.

I bet once you try a more narrow belt you will not want that wide thing anymore for hip lifts! Al

Steve Freides
            Participant

My apology for the late reply – I thought I would receive email if someone replied to this thread.

I would appreciate a source for a USAWA-approved/appropriate hip belt. So far, everything I find that’s the right size says it’s good for only a few hundred pounds.

I did not buy the IronMind hip belt but already owned their dipping belt, and since that’s rated to over 1000 lbs., that’s what I’ve been using. It’s similar in construction to their hip belt. They are both 6″ wide, and the main difference seems to be that the strap itself goes all the way around the belt in the hip belt whereas in the dip belt, it just attaches near the front on both sides.

Based on my admittedly rudimentary knowledge of the way these things work, I can see that the IronMind dip belt would stretch, but I don’t see that their hip belt would stretch at all, and it might even stretch less than a leather belt for all we know. It’s rated to 3500 lbs. Link is here:

http://www.ironmind-store.com/SUPER-SQUATS174-Hip-Belt/productinfo/1220/
              http://www.ironmind-store.com/SUPER-SQUATS174-Hip-Belt/productinfo/1220/

Picture is here:

Again, I will go right out and get an appropriate, approved-sized belt if y’all can recommend a place and a specific model of belt. Needs to be small for me – I’m a 5′ 7″, 148 lb. lifter.

Many thanks for the conversation – much appreciated.

KCSTRONGMAN
              Keymaster

My belt is 4″. Serves me pretty well

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Steve Freides
                Participant

Gentlemen, an update, if you will.

Rickey Dale Crain tells me he uses the IronMind belts, and a leather belt will break at some point, not a question of “if” but “when”. I don’t doubt that people here have used leather belts and that they don’t break, just passing it along. I asked him if he had a USAWA-legal belt because I haven’t found one anywhere and I’ve also been pleased with what I’ve bought from him, he’s great to deal with, and he’s a legendary powerlifter besides.

I am so far SOL (s$%^ outta luck) in finding a leather belt. One person on the StrongFirst instructor page on FB, where I also asked, suggested Atomic Athletic – they have been unresponsive, their web page for their dip belt is mistitled, their voicemail box is full, and I’m not holding out much hope.

Still would love a link to a belt I can buy, and I will buy it yesterday if I can find it, that’s AWA legal and can handle the poundage.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Freides
                  Participant

I found, thanks to someone pointing it out to me, this yesterday and ordered it:

http://www.roguefitness.com/dip-belt.php

Nylon, but 4″ and rated to hold a lot of weight. I will report on it when I get it and use it. Cost $50 + shipping.

Still love to see a link for a leather version.

Thanks much.

-S-

Anonymous

The problem with that nylon belt like people have already said is that it will stretch. I have a spud inc hip belt and while it is too wide even as tough as it is built it stretches with heavy weights. I have used the hip belts that Al has and they are great, I am thinking of trying to make one with the supplies from tractor supply that James recommended

Steve Freides
                      Participant

The Rogue belt says it’s rated for 29,400 lb, but I guess it could stretch.

I’m still game for buying a leather one if I can find it – did everyone who competes at this lift make their own belt, or what?

Thanks.

-S-

Steve Freides
                        Participant

Rogue belt arrived, took it for a quick test drive.

Not great – those big rings get in the way. I ended up using it with both rings held together with carbiners, will take a pic and show the next time I do the lift, probably next week.

-S-

Joe Garcia
                          Participant

Don’t know how it will hold up to the weight, but the design is pretty much just like our hip belt with the big rings, except that it looks a little shorter.

Steve Freides
                            Participant

Thank you, Joe. I generally do these on Mondays, so I’ll report back, with pictures and/or video, after giving the new Rogue belt a try.

-S-

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.