Home Forums General Discussion hi all

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      jarrod
      Participant

hi all

Joe Garcia
        Participant

Welcome Jarrod. Glad to have you around. Heck Denver isn’t that far from Holland KS. LOL.

Thom Van Vleck
          Participant

Welcome! That’s the great thing about All-Round is you can find things you are good at and you aren’t limited to a couple of lifts. I highly recommend making it to Al’s some time for a meet, worth the trip from Denver!

Thom Van Vleck
            Jackson Weightlifting Club
            Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

jarrod
            Participant

my folks still live in lincoln, kansas, just about an hour or so from big al so i’ll definately be hitting his meets! are there meets in holland ks as well?

Ben Edwards
              Participant

Welcome Jarrod! My in-laws live in Denver and my wife and I drive out there about 2 times a year. So if you ever want to meet up when I’m out there that would be great. I’m mostly a “grip guy” and focus on the USAWA lifts that allow me to exhibit my above average grip – but I’m up for any kind of training. Also love the Highland Games.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Al Myers
                Keymaster

Jarrod, How long have you been training the Highland Games? That is a great sport which I spent several years competing in. Do you know any of the other HG throwers in Denver? Al

jarrod
                  Participant

ben, i’m a grip nut myself, let me know when you’re in town! i’ve got my sites set on closing the no. 3 captain of crush this year.

al, i only started training highland athletics about a year ago. my judo coach is steve scott (i used to live in the KC area) & he’s given me some instruction in throwing. he’s also how i found out about the USAWA; you & i are both in his “conditioning for combat sports” book. this is going to be my last year for judo competition then i’m going to focus on throwing & lifting!

Al Myers
                    Keymaster

Wow – small world!! Steve and I go back lots of years. He is a tremendous individual with a wealth of information, and one of the best coaches around. You are lucky to be able to train under him. I need to introduce you to a couple of HG thrower friends of mine in Denver so you can train with them. The best way to improve in the games is to train with veteran throwers so you don’t learn bad habits from the start. Al

jarrod
                      Participant

steve is a great coach as well as just a great all-around human being. really one of my favorite people. whenever i’d tell him about some lift or routine i was trying out he’d say “you need to meet al myers and those odd-lifters, they love that nutty stuff”.

i would love any HG contacts for the denver area, i live in englewood right now, but i work in stapleton and train in littleton. please send any contacts to jfwaveman@yahoo.com, i would really appreciate that. for the moment i’m training super-light on HG, just focusing on technique. i have a big jujitsu competition in august and almost all of my energy in going toward that at the moment. i’d hate to wrench my back picking a caber or something.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.