Heavy Lift Training

Home Forums General Discussion Heavy Lift Training

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sanjiv Gupta
      Participant

One of my glaring weaknesses at Nationals was the Hip Lift. I do not have the space in my home gym for all of the special equipment lifts, but I would like to set up a heavy lift bar, hip belt, hand and thigh bar and neck harness.

In reviewing the main site, it seems like most USAWA clubs have had equipment fabricated over the years. Since I am just getting started, I wanted some advice on plans, how to find metal fabricators and leather workers and making sure everything is safe and can handle the loads the heavy lifts require. Although folks have managed 2000-3000 pounds, I have less than 1000 pounds in 45s and will work with that for the foreseeable future.

Heavy Lift Bar – I planned to have a center sleeve fabricated that would initially use schedule 80 pipe and then swap out with solid steel rod if necessary.

Hip Belt – Order a Belt Squat Belt from Spud Inc (~$100)

Hand and Thigh Bar – I have not seen any of these, but figured I could have a ring welded to 1 inch rod stock

Neck Harness – I have not seen any of these, but it seems like the common neck harnesses online would not be sufficient to handle the loads required by the neck lift

KCSTRONGMAN
        Keymaster

Sanjiv, I will email you the specs I have for the big bar and the hand and thigh attachment. I believe my hip belt, harness, and neck lift gear is all made from agricultural belting. You are correct, the neck harness you would find online would not hold up.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Sanjiv Gupta
          Participant

Thanks. I had never heard of agriculture belting. That is a serious material.

Randy Smith
            Participant

Hi Sanjiv. Farm supply stores have been best for me when trying to find parts for the heavy lift belts. I got hay baler conveyor belt from Tractor Supply. It can be cut with a utility knife. Rivets are often used, but I used short carriage bolts for my hip lift belt. I have found that farm supply store staff are often interested and very helpful when they find out what we are going to do with this stuff. They have had specific hardware suggestions that have been helpful not only for chain lifts but for other lifting applications such as optimizing adjustable kettle bell handles.

A steel fabrication shop should be able to help you with the bar. For a solid bar cold rolled 1045 steel was recommended because it is stiffer than 1038, but I don’t know what others in USAWA use for their bars. Diameter needs to be 1-15/16″. I think you will outgrow a pipe/hollow bar pretty quickly.

And hopefully you can find a local gym that will let you bring in your bar and lifting rig so you can load it up without having to invest in a bunch of hundred pound plates. You might even find others that are interesting in giving it a go.

Good luck with your project!

Sanjiv Gupta
              Participant

Good advice on the hay baler belt. It will probably take some trial and error to figure out exactly what lengths and widths I prefer for harnesses. I might have to hold off on this until I visit some established USAWA clubs.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.