Thom Van Vleck
      Participant

December Milo issue

Thom Van Vleck
        Jackson Weightlifting Club
        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
        Keymaster

I just got my MILO and have already read it “cover to cover”. For those of you that don’t know – I got published in this issue for the first time with my story on “the history of the Neck Lift”. Now I know Thom had to be in this issue at least a half dozen times, but my story is longer than all of his put together – AND IT DIDN’T CONTAIN ANY FLUFF!!! haha Actually, Thoms story on Wilbur Miller has to be one of the best he has ever written. I tried to “name drop” in my story as much as Thom does (but I failed in comparison) because I only mentioned you USAWA guys (and THAT includes you Tom Ryan!) instead of the really, really famous people that Thom knows. Al

61pwcc
          Participant

Seeing as I’m probably going to stop getting PL USA, I may get MILO. I’ve been getting POWER magazine lately and feel it’s got more to offer me.

KCSTRONGMAN
            Keymaster

I have thought about getting Power magazine. Is it pretty good? I enjoyed Milo while I got it for a number of years, but when they doubled the price I had the choice to support them or support my family by paying the mortgage and buying food (if I bout milo at eighty-seven thousand dollars a year I could afford neither of these things) I had to opt out. And I can hear who all Thom knows on here or in person (LOL)
              ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

jarrod
              Participant

i’m with you there. i really like the couple issues of milo that i’ve gotten a hold of but man, it was very expensive the last time i checked.

61pwcc
                Participant

I think POWER magazine is great! Why?? The publisher(Mark Bell) is an active Powerlifter who also happens to have invented the Slingshot. His articles are funny,honest and poignant. It’s got a little bit of gossip mixed in with some well done interviews. The focus is NOT just Powerlifting. For example, Glenn Pendlay has written some good Olympic lifting articles in the last couple of issues. The diet articles are interesting and challenging. Mark seems like he really wants to help his readers get better. His ‘texting with Mark Bell’ column is informative and funny.
                  Powerlifting USA has had some changes that bother me. I thought the nutrition articles by Anthony Ricciuto would be a blast. Now they’ve degraded into multi-issue advertisements for someone’s products/services ie: 4 months/issues for the Doctor who’ll help you get on roids, 3+ months/issue on someone’s IBS cure which you can buy, this month is the 3rd and final installment/advertisement for someone’s SUPER-DUPER blender, ad nauseum. The MHP involvement has turned me off. You got Steve Downs of Natural Bodybuilding fame(Editor) who has pretty much run down any and all for their even REMOTE involvement to steroids while he’s conveniently(and quietly) done an about face(two face) representing MHP and those who MAY have more than a REMOTE involvement with steroids. His self righteous attitude in the magazine is why I NEVER bought it. Now how much was he paid to ‘change his mind’?!?!? So, I do not read any of Steve’s articles in PL USA as well as Anthony’s.
                  Finally, I’ve been buying PL USA since 1995 and I wouldn’t know Mike Lambert if I fell on him! I’ve seen 1 maybe 2 pictures of Mike in the magazine since 95′!! I like seeing the owner being an active part of whatever it is he owns, a magazine, restaurant, grocery store etc. This last one is a pet peeve of mine I know. Mike’s done a great job for alot of years. I just can’t justify the money….even though the price is most reasonable, on something that gives me nil in return.

Thom Van Vleck
                  Participant

I have bought some of the Power issues. I subscribed to PLUSA from 1984 to 2000 but not since. Ironically, I was in the November issue. ….and it’s not name dropping when it’s ALL TRUE HAHAHAHAHAHA. Now if you’ll excuse me I have to make a call to my bestest pal Bill Pearl.

Thom Van Vleck

Participant

SHAMELESS NAME DROPPING 101
                      prerequisite for courses 201, 301, 401

instructor….THOM BAN VLECK, BS. MS. FOS.

Tedd Van Vleck
                      Participant

Dave……..that is HILARIOUS!

Thom Van Vleck
                        Participant

When I’m bored and need some stress relief….I just bait the hook and wait for Dave’s response….always a classic!

Thom Van Vleck

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.