Thom Van Vleck
      Participant

Deanna Meet

Thom Van Vleck
        Jackson Weightlifting Club
        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Tom Ryan
        Participant

You are right, Big T, Clark is with me here in Atlanta. I picked him up at the airport last night and took him to his hotel. I will leave shortly to pick him up there and take him to the hospital for his surgery today. I will tell him about the turnout for the Deanna Meet.

Al Myers
          Keymaster

What an unbelievable weekend!!! I am “bone tired” this morning from yesterdays meet. Heavy lift meets like the Deanna makes you feel sore in a different way than other meets as your bones and joints ache along with your muscles. I want to thank Joe for running the meet in Bill’s abscence and as expected, he did a marvelous job. We had 7 lifters and finished in a little over 3 hours. I got LOTS of stories from this one, and hopefully will get my meet report written today – but a nap may have to come first!!! Al

KCSTRONGMAN
            Keymaster

Looks like a great meet
              ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

murdo01
              Participant

Sunday morning about 10:20 walked into Clark’s gym with Dean Ross. Dave Beversdorf was doing the Eastern Postal and setting up for a 500# 12″ base squat, which he made look pretty easy. He moved on to do a 400# alt grip bench with a lot in the tank. His one hand db dl wasn’t great, but better than he had predicted fo; himself. A few minutes later Al Springs, Thom and his Uncle Wayne, Al Myers and Rudy showed up, and after a few minutes the show was on.

And a show it was, Al S. kept the older group in the groove with his experience in the lifts. He said he hadn’t lifted for awhile, but he still put up respectable numbers. I don’t know what he thought about Dean and I as we do a lot of “trash talking” to each other, especially about ‘sandbagging’, Rudy doesn’t talk trash, but he always says, “Gosh fella’s, I don’t think I can do anymore than that”. We put another 100# on the bar and he makes it with ease. Rudy truely is amazing! Dean had competed in Thom’s highland games the day before, and the lifts were all new to him. Dean is so damn powerful, he didn’t come close to his potential, but with a little training will put up some real numbers, especially in the heavy lifts. He had twinged his knee the day before, but still put up good numbers. I was glad to see Rudy take the overall, Al tries to set us up as a competitive pair, but in reality there is no attempt by either to “beat” the other. We just discuss what weight we’ll do next, and go to it. I flamed out on a couple of lifts going for a PR, but that’s no big deal. No risk, no reward, no fun.

All that being said, Rudy watch out, I’m going to train to push you harder buddy! And Ross, I expect you to kick my arse like you do in the highland games. Just don’t screw up your knees training.

Murdo

Joe Garcia
                Participant

I’m glad all of you came to the meet. It was a great time. Pretty stiff yesterday, but going away today. Every workout day should be a meet, I would get fantastic workouts, plus all the fun.

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

Last weekends Deanna WAS a great meet! I have been to several Deanna Meets, and this one had to go down as one of the best.

I second what Joe said about meets being a good workout. When I was powerlifting, I would prepare several weeks for a meet. Now I just go to some meets without any preparation!! But I’m not as bad as some lifters – at least I know what lifts are going to be contested when I get there!!! (haha YOU know who I’m talking about!). Al

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.