Home Forums General Discussion cyr press

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jarrod
      Participant

cyr press

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

I’m curious about the pronunciation as well. I called it “sire” for years and I hear people calling it “seer”.

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
          Keymaster

I have always pronounced it “seer”, and that is the way I have heard it pronounced. But then again, I have been accused of speaking “Kansan” before.

Jarrod – As for the Cyr Press, that is NOT an official IAWA lift (or a USAWA lift). There are no records in it. The only all round comp it has been in has been the Dino Gym Oldtime Strongman Challenge in Jan. To find out more about the Cyr Press, just do a search of the article tags on the right of the home page. You will find the relevant blogs under Cyr or Cyr Press. Al

jarrod
            Participant

well “seer” it is then, thanks for the info guys. i think my “kansan” got thicker after moving to colorado.

i usually do this lift with a split & try to drop my body arm’s length under the weight for the lockout, then stand up. any tips or tricks for this lift?

jf

Al Myers
              Keymaster

At the Oldtime Strongman Challenge, the Cyr Press was done several different ways. The all rounders either held the db to the side and jerked it or push pressed it. The strongman did more of a strongman press with it (a pushpress with a press out). ET and Chris Anderson were out of this world with this event. (ET did a 190!). Both turned the db on end on the shoulder, resting one end of the db on their shoulder before the overhead portion. Al

jarrod
                Participant

interesting, i hadn’t thought of turning the end on my shoulder…is that to engage the triceps more & use the shoulder to “launch” the DB?

jf

61pwcc
                  Participant

I’m assuming it’s to shorten the distance the dumbell has to travel. We use a similar technique when Log Pressing.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.