Home Forums General Discussion Club Challenge

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Club Challenge

Al Myers
        Keymaster

The DINO TEAM is ready for the Club Challenge!! Pittsburgh, here we come!!

Scott Tully
          Participant

good luck guys!!!!!

ST

Al Myers
            Keymaster

What a great weekend!! The 2011 USAWA Club Challenge was a huge success on Saturday. Four clubs took part – Ambridge BBC, the Dino Gym, Joe’s Gym, and Habecker’s Gym. The results are still not in – as I’m waiting patiently for John McKean to get the final calculations made and sent to me so hopefully I’ll have the meet results up on the website by tomorrow.

It was a “whirlwind weekend” for the Dino Gym. Chad, Darren and myself flew to the meet Saturday morning. The meet was scheduled to start at 2:30PM and we arrived at the historic Ambridge Gym a little after 3:00. The rest of the guys were already underway completing the postal meets and record attempts. We finished after 7:00 and finally went out to eat. Chad, Darren and I were plenty hungry by then since we hadn’t ate since 9:00 AM during our layover in Chicago!! With the time change and our early flight out, we didn’t get much sleep! I was back home by noon today and totally exhausted! So in a span of 30 hours we traveled over 3000 miles and completed a meet.

I have to thank John and Art for putting on this great event. You guys are unbelievable hosts welcoming the USAWA into your gym. Thanks! Al

Chad Ullom
              Participant

Couldn’t agree more Al, what a weekend! I can hardly believe yesterday was only 24 hours long! It started for me at 4:30am, waking up and driving to Manhattan for our flight. I’ll say this for the Wildcats, I’m spoiled when it comes to flying now! From the time we touched down, it was literally 10 minutes later and I was on the highway, amazing. We had a 3 hour layover in Chicago, another hour or so flight and within a half hour of landing we were lifing! Can’t think of a better way, LOL. After the lifting, eating, storytelling and clock changing we got about 4 hours of sleep and started the trek home. It was a blast, but I am worn out!

Al told me when he got into All-round that it was like the highland game of weight lifting, with everyone helping each other out. A great example was this weekend with Joe giving Al and I pointers on the neck lift! I know this is a lift he takes great pride in and his highly skilled so I was eager to hear his tips! I wasn’t thinking anywhere near 750 when I heard we were doing the neck lift. My good friend Dave had some choice words for me the last time I mentioned trying a neck lift with the issues I’ve had over past year, LOL.

It was another fun weekend, and I’m really glad I was able to make it again.
                Chad

jarrod
                Participant

looked like fun, i can’t wait to compete next year!

Denny Habecker
                  Participant

I just want to say it was a lot of fun lifting at the club challenge. I also was very impressed with Joe Ciavattone’s son’s. They both lifted well and conducted themselves very well.

BigD
                    Participant

I have to say that this contest was one of the most fun that I have been on……Whirlwind was definitely a good term for it. Thanks to AL and Chad for putting up with me for and Art for being such a great cab driver.

Great weekend for me even though my neck lift was sub par compared to the great lifters that were there.

I have to say that the gym was like walking into weighlifting history books. I have never seen such a wonderful collection of rare weights in my life. And these guys use them everyday!! Fantastic not only being able to complete the contest but being able to use artifacts of history to complete them.

Oh yes……That gravy is fantastic!!!!

Al Myers
                      Keymaster

Someday I’ll do a story on the BEST GYMS I have ever been in, and I assure you Ambridge BBC will be in the top. It is the type of gym any hardcore lifter would appreciate, and it’s history as displayed around the gym is a great source of inspiration!

This club challenge is one of my favorite meets of the year. The “team approach” is different than ALL other meets, and because of this, enhances the camaraderie between everyone. It is great seeing each team cheering the others on. I was very impressed with the Ciavattones. Joe’s sons are extremely gifted all-round lifters, and someday (probably pretty soon) they will be the main force in the USAWA. It is obvious Joe is leading them in the right direction as a Dad and as a coach. Joe is one of the most helpful lifters I have met. What a great guy!!

And I sure agree with Darren, the gravy WAS GOOD!!! Dinoman

Participant

chad, i have even ‘CHOICHIER’ words, now that i know you did it!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.