Thom Van Vleck
      Participant

Clark’s Gym Newsletter

Thom Van Vleck
        Jackson Weightlifting Club
        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

KCSTRONGMAN
        Keymaster

That is interesting. I would be interested in getting it as well, if it’s not only for gym members. Between not getting that and cancelling my Milo subscription (you know, cause it is still 4 issues, but is now $1000/year) I no longer have anything to read. You used to put out a newsletter Thom-what happened to that?
          ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Thom Van Vleck
          Participant

Yeah, I really put a lot of work into that newsletter. The postage was what was killing me, then Al came up with the USAWA website and I started writing for him (I think I am approaching 100 stories!!!!).

Thanks for putting my newsletter in the same category as Bill’s Newsletter and MILO as good reading. That makes me feel like I’m in good company!

I also feel your pain on MILO…..I imagine that is pretty expensive to publish. I’m probably going to sound like a “company man” here but there’s a local group here in Kirksville that publishes “Drag Illustrated”. They have an office downtown and everything. This is a typical magazine with 1001 advertisements in every issue. We were talking as I was helping out a little with some writing, and I showed him my MILO and he said he could not understand how anyone could make any money with a magazine that had no advertisements in it and that if he had that much material he could put out 12 issues a year, just spreading it out and filling with ads. I still cringe when I make out a check and I used to buy people an issue as a gift if there was something in there I thought they would like….now I just tell them and they can buy it themselves! haha

Thom Van Vleck

Tom Ryan
            Participant

I can vouch for the existence of Clark’s Gym newsletter because I just received a copy, forwarded from my old address. Surprised the heck out of me because I had the impression that Bill had sworn off newsletters forever — after a 50-year run, as Thom said. He certainly sounded like it during one of our phone conversations earlier this year. Clark’s Gym has 6 new members, which undoubtedly comes as a pleasant surprise to Bill, with at least two of them interested in Olympic lifting.

Thom Van Vleck
              Participant

Well, I guess Mr. Ryan rates it and not me! haha

Bill has 6 new members! That’s great. If I lived down there I workout there just to use the York Globe DB’s he has!haha

Thom Van Vleck

Tom Ryan
                Participant

Oh, I don’t know about that, Thom, but Bill and I have been close friends for a very long time.

Bill also mentioned in his newsletter that Steve Schmidt has been performing almost every weekend. This has included performing at the 2010 Missouri State Fair in Sedalia and if you go to http://kspradleyphoto.blogspot.com/ and scroll down a bit, you will see several photos of Steve in action, including bending a horseshoe for the Governor of Missouri and bending a horseshoe into a heart for the First Lady.

DrDave
                  Participant

I can also confirm the Clark newsletter- sorry- I haven’t checked our forum in awhile! Ask Bill- he leaves it at the gym for us so he doesn’t have to mail it.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.