All Around Training

Home Forums General Discussion All Around Training

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

All Around Training

jarrod
        Participant

hi noman, i’m not the most experienced all-arounder but here’s what i would suggest: pick a pressing movement, a pulling movement, and a squatting movement. train them until you plateau, then rotate new lifts in. add equipment as needed. an olympic bar and some plates will get you going, & you can add equipment as you need. a lot of it can be homemade to save money. for example you can rig up a vertical bar deadlift with some pipe & pipe fittings. i hope this was some help.

jf

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Welcome noman! As for training programs, you need to select a type of program that will help you accomplish your set goals. Are you interested in gaining strength? Or are you more interested in improving your athletic ability thru functional strength? How much time can you devote to training? The answers to questions like these are very important in setting up the optimal strength program for someone.

Equipment needed can be very minimal for lots of exercises. If you have a bar and a few hundred pounds of plates you can do most strength exercises. There are lots of places to find bars and plates on the internet, or even probably at local businesses. I have spent years building my gym – it is impossible to get everything you want to start with. The basic starting point is a good bar, a set of 45 bumpers, and 300-400 pounds of steel plates.

Al

Anonymous

dinoman, jarrod

Thanks for the information. I am looking to improve my athletic ability through gaining strength and functional strength. I have been gathering my information through this site and some old time strongman sites. I have just tried the Mark Berry courses and the one handed lifts have a key part in developing functional strength. I am also reading Saxons books and he was on the right track back in 1905.
              I need ideas in setting up a training schedule. I have a good work schedule so I can devote time to training. I have a good garage gym, I need to purchase a Fulton bar and some of the other USAWA lifts ( harness, hip, and hand and thigh lift). I also believe that the limited range heavy movements help develop functional strength.

Thanks
              Noman

jarrod
              Participant

noman, there are almost as many programs or schedules as there are lifters. i’m a big fan of louie simmons’ conjugate method, & also of pavel tsatsouline’s athletic training. i would google these guys, as well as others, & see what you like best. i don’t think anyone can prescribe a program for you without know your fitness level, type of work, specific goals, etc. hope this helps,

jf

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.