Al Myers Rocks!!

Home Forums General Discussion Al Myers Rocks!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      61pwcc
      Participant

Al Myers Rocks!!

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Hey, NOBODY stacks up to Al Myers……Al doesn’t deadlift, he pushes the world down!hahaha

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
          Keymaster

420# is a great pull with the 3″ bar!!! That’s nothing to be ashamed of! Training with the 3″ bar presents challenges that don’t exist with a regular bar. On top of the grip being much more difficult, the 3″ bar forces the body into different body positions that are not optimal. Like with the deadlift, you will notice that the 3″ bar forces the body to pull in a line that is not straight. You will be slightly rotated toward the direction of your undergrip.

I was very pleased with my 3″ bar deadlift, but it is far from the overall record and best lift in the USAWA. Matt Graham pulled 600# on a 3″ bar several years ago at Kevin Fultons Supergrip challenge. That same day he had a close miss at 640#!!! I have a picture somewhere of that lift of his – and now I’m going to look for it!!!! Dinoman

61pwcc
            Participant

I’m glad I alternate grips EVERY set. Don’t want too much twisting to one side. I ALWAYS alternate grips or feet on each set. I’m talking Jefferson Lifts, Hack Squats and (Split) Jerks. I’m amazed that I’m the only Olympic Lifter I know that switches feet each time I jerk…even in meets!! I’d think you’d develop a hip injury/overuse injury over time not switching it up.
              a 640# 3″ bar Dead? Miss or no,WOW!!
              I will say that training the Farmer’s Walk implements has helped alot with grip. Though I must confess I love grip work. Pinch gripping, bending nails. My fave in High School was doing Barbell Side Bends with a 45 on each side.
              In Strongman competitions NOTHING beats a truck pull! Such a deep finger tendon burn felt-quite addicting if you ask me.
              What’s the point of being as strong as hell if your hands and wrist can’t muckle onto something and show it??

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.