Scottish Stones of Strength

KCSTRONGMAN
        Keymaster

Interested in hearing more about this!
          ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Chad Ullom
          Participant

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/Jun/IHGF_Scottish_Stones_of_Strength_World_Challenge-Dinnie_Stones_Go_for_a_Walk.html

I went first and went 2 feet before my strap broke. Ended up in 4th. Mark Haydock was 2nd with 10. I was the only one not to get a 2nd or 3rd attempt. Long story, but we had to shut the walk down prematurely. I know I could have beat 2 feet, would have needed over 5 to move up a spot which may not have happened anyway.

Al Myers
            Keymaster

Chad, GREAT SHOWING!!!

That is something that someone walked the distance of the bridge. Truly impressive! And you got to be there to see it firsthand, AND PARTICIPATE!!

It’s really a great thing that a couple of allrounders (you and Mark) were able to represent in this world stone challenge. I’m sure I can speak on behalf of the entire organization (the USAWA and the IAWA) here that we are very proud of your accomplishments.

Please keep us posted on how the rest of the challenge goes, and how you do in Berlin. Al

Chad Ullom
              Participant

Are you checking your email? I don’t want to announce anything until Francis has a chance to turn it into Randy. I’m sure you understand that. He’s done a great job with this and put a LOT into it along with Ryan. They’ve been away 3 weeks with IHGF games! I’ll let you all know about Berlin as soon as I can

KCSTRONGMAN
                Keymaster

Pretty impressive you were invited to participate. Way to represent!!!
                  ET

61pwcc
                  Participant

Good job Mark and Chad….I am a wee bit envious!!

Al Myers
                    Keymaster

O Chad – I would have NEVER said anything here till Francis officially gave the report and results on the IronMind site! You know that! I’m fully aware of all the “backstage drama” that has been behind this coming to fruition. I’ll cut you a little slack here on accusing me of something like that since I know you have to be totally exhausted by now and your mind is probably foggy since you don’t have me along to keep you awake while you drive. haha Here’s the Ironmind report by Francis:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/Jun/IHGF_Scottish_Stones_of_Strength_World_Challenge-Dinnie_Stones_Go_for_a_Walk.html

That pretty good that you made the picture on the IM site by the way!!! I gotta love the shirt you are wearing!!!

BTW – the dinnie stone hate monger is already at work on the IM forum bashing this great performance of you guys. Again – GREAT JOB! Al

Travis Willingham
                      Participant

That’s too bad a broken strap occurred and then not getting an extra try. But 2 feet is better than what you were telling me your guess was last week.

Chad Ullom
                        Participant

I was just giving you a hard time Al, LoL.

We knew he would have something negative to say. Ryan and Francis have too much class to respond to something like that. It is hard to ignore, but I won’t say anything until I speak to them later today. The sad thing is, he could have been involved, consulted and probably judged I’m sure. Instead, he would rather attack and try to discredit someone. His response and accusations are laughable to anyone that knows those two.

Thanks Travis, it was better than thought, less than I hoped, LOL. It was better than I did in training. I never use straps and that was part of my issue. I didn’t get the right locked in right so it was coming out and that is when it broke.

Thanks guys, it was an extreme honor to be part of this

Travis Willingham
                          Participant

That’s his problem, he may have good ideas, serious concerns…but none of that will ever come out because he immediately goes on the attack against people without trying to talk with them or even knowing who they are or what they’re doing.

Chad Ullom
                            Participant

exactly. And it’s really a shame, he clearly has a passion and a lot of knowledge. I have no respect for him

Al Myers
                              Keymaster

There will always be critics of great performances for a variety of reasons, most of which are personally motivated (like in this case). This joker doesn’t even deserve a response because that is what he wants, someone to argue with. He’s just looking for a forum fight, so he can take the argument into the gutter and then win it with experience.

He’s obviously passionate about the subject and does have a wealth of information (which he arrogantly preaches nonstop to the forum crowd), but all this is lost with his pompous attitude. No one cares about what he has to say except his handful of “followers” who think he is someone important in the stone lifting world.

I actually find humor in all of this. His actions which he thinks are “serving his cause” are actually doing the opposite. It’s just drawing more attention to the outstanding performances that were done both this week and the week we visited the Dinnies in November. Any sensible person can “read through” his nonsense, and see him for the fool he is. Why hasn’t Randy banned him from the IM forum??? Simple answer – he’s creating attention with his negative attacks and the IM website is getting more “hits” than ever. So he’s doing Randy some good as well!!!! Al

Chad Ullom
                                Participant

Haha, great point Al!

BTW, Francis and Ryan said to tell you hello. Too bad you couldn’t make this trip!

Travis Willingham
                                  Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on June 20, 2013, 08:57[/b]
                                    His actions which he thinks are “serving his cause” are actually doing the opposite.

This exactly. I was supposed to meet up with him when I go over there next year to do some stone lifting, but with the way he’s been handling things, I just don’t want to be associated with it. I’ve talked with him quite a bit over the years and he’s never done anything to me, but just his attitude this last year has turned me off.

He threw a fit about straps, but I don’t think anyone would really debate that. Even with straps it was quite a feat and it should be left at that, quite a feat.

The drug part is just uncalled for.

KCSTRONGMAN
                                    Keymaster

Leave it to the USAWA forum to have a rational discussion…

Al Myers
                                      Keymaster

Travis, I sure agree with you on the straps thing, and like said in a previous blog story, “lifting the stones with straps is nothing like lifting them without.” It takes someone with a very strong back/pull to lift them period, but having a grip to hold the rings is the limiting factor. I don’t think anyone would argue that.

But by using straps in this competition is NOT the issue at all. They were clearly allowed by the rules of the competition. The issue that “the critic” is trying to make is that somehow this is a violation of stone lifting etiquette, and is insulting to the tradition of the Dinnie Stones. That’s what I think is a bunch of hogwash! He’s so wrapped up in the idea of Scottish Stone lifting culture that he is blinded by the truth. The stones are there to lift!!! Plus all he does is “blah blah blah” in his writing about how he seems to be the only one who understands this and everyone else is violating the dinnie stones in some way. AND I might add that none of his rambling comments and insults are EVER backed by any authentic proof. They are simply his narrow minded opinion. Why doesn’t he show some proof, like some writings of Donald Dinnie in how he felt the stones should be lifted? Is it because he doesn’t have any??

He’s so against lifting the stones for multiple repetitions because he feels like it is not traditional. Does he have proof that Dinnie never lifted the stones multiple times in a day because of some cultural mindset? Anyone who is strong enough to carry both stones over 15 feet without setting them down surely could have picked them up several times. I would guess Dinnie did a few “reps” with them just to warm up for the bridge walk!!!! It’s not a far stretch of the mind to think that “for show” he lifted them more than once in a day. But my proof of that is no more than he was against reps with them!!! Add in the long history (over the last 50 years) of lifters testing themselves with multiple reps with the stones (some just a few reps), why would ANYONE think that this was wrong in some way. The critics good buddy who he follows around on stone lifting tours even lifted them more than once on a visit!! Where was the criticism then???

But what would I know – I’m just a stupid American according the self-proclaimed Dinnie Stone expert. That’s his response to anyone who disagrees with him. Al

PS. Now I’ve got a couple of questions for Chad.

1. I thought you were banned from Scotland by the King of Scotland after you violated the Dinnie Stones last fall. How did you get in?

2. I thought the critic had banned this event from happening because of some code violation? Yet the TV crew was there and it was done in broad daylight for everyone to see. So I take it there was no tussles with the law?

3. Your strap broke????? Didn’t Francis supply you with a new indestructible IronMind strap before the event??? Or were you using those ole flimsy battered ones you have in your gym bag??

Travis Willingham
                                        Participant

Oh I agree Al, the strap thing is a non-issue that Martin brought up. That was kind of my point, because I don’t think anyone but him is arguing about it. It’s out in the open and everyone knows it, thus it’s not an issue. The only issue is I know Chad wasn’t practicing with them and apparently he should have. LOL

And I hate to admit it, but I do not believe it’s possible, by Dinnie or anyone, to have walked them that far on one lift. Thus, multiple reps are a must.

Chad Ullom
                                          Participant

[b]

PS. Now I’ve got a couple of questions for Chad.

1. I thought you were banned from Scotland by the King of Scotland after you violated the Dinnie Stones last fall. How did you get in?

2. I thought the critic had banned this event from happening because of some code violation? Yet the TV crew was there and it was done in broad daylight for everyone to see. So I take it there was no tussles with the law?

3. Your strap broke????? Didn’t Francis supply you with a new indestructible IronMind strap before the event??? Or were you using those ole flimsy battered ones you have in your gym bag??

1. I wish he would have waited for me at the border. I guess he didn’t get the message out
                                            2. Funny thing. Mark and I got there 2 hours early to Potarch. There was a police van sitting out front and we thought, Holy crap! It was unrelated, we spoke to him and it was all good. He was hoping to get to see it!
                                            3. Yes, I used the straps that I think we got from Nationals in Ohio. I’m sure I didn’t lock it in enough, but it did break. I think next Sept at Masters worlds I’d like to see far I can go without straps. We’ll see.

Travis is right, I needed to train them more LOL> I have been pulled in so many directions. I just tried to keep my core strength up. I have this comp in Germany that is the am world championship with 13 countries represented! No pressue:)

KCSTRONGMAN
                                            Keymaster

Am world champs in what? HG? Great opportunity for you, yet again. Great ambassador!
                                              ET

Al Myers
                                              Keymaster

And don’t forget you got the USAWA Nationals the NEXT WEEKEND!!!

Geez – you are really superman. I don’t see how you are getting all this done. I’ll be thinking about you on Saturday and wishing you great throws!!! Al

Travis Willingham
                                                Participant

And after competing both days at the KC games weekend before last.

Hope to hear good results from Germany as well. Sounds like an epic trip.

Thom Van Vleck
                                                  Participant

[b]Quote from KCSTRONGMAN on June 20, 2013, 13:50[/b]
                                                    Leave it to the USAWA forum to have a rational discussion…

That’s because I haven’t been on here…hahahahaha

Thom Van Vleck
                                                    Jackson Weightlifting Club
                                                    Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
                                                    Keymaster

Thom – I’ve “cut you some slack” for not responding here on this thread because of your efforts on the other forums in “keeping people in line”. haha

If anyone is interested in a little light reading on this subject, or just don’t have time to watch Oprah today for a stimulating controversial subject, here is the link to the discussion on the IM forum:

http://ironmind-forum.com/showthread.php?2316-Dinnie-Stones-IHGF-Scottish-Stones-of-Strength-World-Challenge

I might add that the last comments in that thread by Francis Brebner are some of the BEST I have ever read on the Dinnie Stones in a forum post. Al

Ben Edwards
                                                      Participant

Great job Chad!

Let me just say that I’m disappointed that you didn’t have some “flesh-tone” lifting straps made specially for the Dinnie Stone Smoke & Mirror Show. When people on forums complain about lifting straps being used it’s almost like they’re saying – “Ah ha! Caught ya trying to fool me into thinking you were doing that barehanded!” Even though the lifting straps are not hidden. Right there in plain sight. So next time, make it harder on them. Use flesh-tone straps and then sit back and enjoy a good chuckle.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

KCSTRONGMAN
                                                        Keymaster

And you could wear a flesh tone body suit as well, and they would think you were lifting completely raw. Until they noticed it was a body suit, at which time you would be known as “body suit man”

Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.