Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      KCSTRONGMAN
      Keymaster

Dinnie Stones

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Travis Willingham
        Participant

I talked with Chad about them last year at the KC Games. I think he’s making the list.

KCSTRONGMAN
          Keymaster

I thought he might be a good possibility. Stupid strong hook grip
            ET

Travis Willingham
            Participant

That’s exactly what is needed. It’s not that hard with straps, you need the hands to pull it off. When he and I talked about it and he told me he hooks all the time, I figured he’d have it.

Anonymous

My thumbs were so amuned to the pain that I could hit either thumb with a moderate tap of a hammer and not feel any pain! Not a crushing blow that would fracture a bone etc. This took years to build this type of tolerance. One of my keys to a heavy one hand d-l and lifting the Dinnie Stones. They also were very calloused not just from lifting but making my living pick an shovel work. Great article Al!!! Thanks

KCSTRONGMAN
                Keymaster

I am thoroughly convinced that that type of work-having something in your hand all day is what builds a stupid strong grip. The most significant growth I ever saw in my grip was after a winter of splitting wood.

I have never had an isse with the pain of hooking-doesnt bother me much at all. But my grip is still limited. I cannot hook a decent size bar well (anything bigger than a Oly or DL bar, I can barely get hooked) and those ring handles want to open up my left hand-even with a hook, it starts to slide open.
                  ET

Anonymous

Your 100% right! If you have thick hands as your self it becomes much more of a challenge. You have more than enough hand strength to lift them, it’s the thickness of your hands and fingers which can interfere. My best one deadlifting was done when my bodyweight was under 275lbs. When I got heavier my hands would really swell up.I hope this helps

Anonymous

ET if you didnt have ogre hands you would be fine.

KCSTRONGMAN
                      Keymaster

The next time I see you, Jesse, I will be your assailant.
                        ET

dwagman
                        Participant

Hey, didn’t Kaz lift the Dinnies, too? I seem to recall that he lifted them but couldn’t walk with ’em. If memory serves, that was in the late ’80’s. So he’d be another American to add to the list.

Dan

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
                          are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
                          compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Chad Ullom
                          Participant

Not sure about Kaz, but he is not listed on the Gordon Dinnie website. I’m happy to report that we can add two more USAWA members to the list! Al and I both lifted the stones. Mark Haydock and I both completed 25 reps for a new record for reps in a single day! I want to thank Steve Angel, another lifetime drug free lifter, for setting the mark here. I finally met Steve this weekend and really enjoyed getting to spend some time with him. Steve is an outstanding ambassador of the strength sports! A true champion on and off the platform, I can’t express how much I enjoyed visiting with him. Even when I accidentally dumped a full beer in his lap! I felt unbelievably embarrassed by that, but Steve took it in stride and did his best to try and make it alright. I still feel horrible about that!

Al truly gutted his lift! He did not intend to try, just a couple of months after shoulder surgery! He didn’t bring a belt to lifting shoes. Of course he got caught up and gave it shot. He set hook too deep on his first try and ripped a huge chunk from his right hand. I figured his day was done. He wrapped some tape on it and stood by with blood lotterally dripping from his hand. It was bubbling out of the wound, I’m not exaggerating! He asked what I thought, I said go for it, but honestly didn’t see how he could do it. He stepped up, set it in and lifted both unassisted! It was a tremendous effort!

KCSTRONGMAN
                            Keymaster

That is BAD ASS!!! Now I can brag that I have met 5/6 American Dinnie Stone lifters! Congrats guys!!!!!!!
                              ET

Thom Van Vleck
                              Participant

The picture on facebook of Al lifting, either it was taken as he was setting them back down or he literally has the front stone gripped in his finger tips. I have seen Al use that grip in the Highland Games to get an extra inch or so of leverage….so I know he can grip that was.

Also saw the picture of Chad. Chad, while it appears that you “smoked” them, it’s still remarkable you lifted them at all, so lifting them that way you did just solidified you in the strength world.

OH…and OOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHH WHAT A RUSH! Is this how you guys came in to make your lifts!!!!!

Thom Van Vleck
                                Jackson Weightlifting Club
                                Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Travis Willingham
                                Participant

[b]Quote from chadul79 on November 5, 2012, 03:17[/b]
                                  He set hook too deep on his first try and ripped a huge chunk from his right hand.

Exactly what happened to me when I lifted my 3rd lift. Just as I was warming up.

Travis Willingham
                                  Participant

And where is Al’s pic? I’ve only seen Chad’s.

dwagman
                                    Participant

Chad, that’s AWESOME!

So did you do 25 reps in one or two sets? LOL

And one heck of a way for Al to show some serious grit.

As to Kaz, I checked my poster he gave me with all of his records and stuff. I got the stones messed up. In the late 80’s he was the first guy to lift all of the McGlashen stones in competition. No mention of the Dinnies.

Dan

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
                                      are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
                                      compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Chad Ullom
                                      Participant

[b]Quote from Travis Willingham on November 5, 2012, 18:40[/b]
                                        And where is Al’s pic? I’ve only seen Chad’s.

]It’s on fb, I’m sure when we get back, he will run a blog

Ben Edwards
                                        Participant

Congrats to you guys on the Dinnie Stones lifts! I have been reading on the Ironmind forum and have not “defended” you because frankly there is no point in doing so there. You guys are solid, respectful, strong, deserving guys. So it makes me mad to see you getting harassed about the reps. Not bringing it up here to stir the pot. I no longer post on the Ironmind forum though (since August)but I feel the need to explain a bit here why I’m not on there defending some honorable men.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Chad Ullom
                                          Participant

Just landed in Newark. I have to say that has dominated conversation ths past few days! I really wanted to respond, but nowI’m not sure i will. I loved what Thom said!. I think he looks like a hypcritical fool
                                            More later

Chad Ullom
                                            Participant

Anyone watch this video?
                                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE5DnJXFcyw&feature=youtu.be

I truly don’t think that if they are lifted on the dirt/gravel like we did that they are at risk. We had no reason to think reps weren’t OK> If you look at the dinnie site, they list everyones reps, even if they’re using straps. I think Peter feels strongly about the reps and tried to make a strong statement to discourage anyone else from trying. I think if that was his intention, it was the wrong way to go about it.

Chad Ullom
                                              Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9STaNL7FzUQ
                                                Jeez, fast forward to the 48/49 min mark, this is crazy!

Timo Lauttamus
                                                Participant

[b]Quote from chadul79 on November 11, 2012, 07:20[/b]
                                                  Anyone watch this video?
                                                  [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE5DnJXFcyw&feature=youtu.be[/url]

I truly don’t think that if they are lifted on the dirt/gravel like we did that they are at risk. We had no reason to think reps weren’t OK> If you look at the dinnie site, they list everyones reps, even if they’re using straps. I think Peter feels strongly about the reps and tried to make a strong statement to discourage anyone else from trying. I think if that was his intention, it was the wrong way to go about it.

Looks like you’re back at home guys, hopefully you had good journey.
                                                  Specially you and Mark did very good job with Dinnies!
                                                  And thanks for driving me there to lift only one on time 🙂
                                                  That was great safari, also i enjoyed thru the weekend, great IAWA hospitality, i would say.

Thanks to all.

Chad Ullom
                                                  Participant

We made it Timo. Glad you made it out there with us. Those finger deads were unreal. You need a club, so we can have a meet in Finland!

Scott Tully
                                                    Participant

great job guys, Peter Martin is a douchebag for the way hes acting on that forum, and for telling these guys they are not welcome in Scotland, really. Would love to see him say any of that crap to these guys faces.

ST

Timo Lauttamus
                                                      Participant

[b]Quote from chadul79 on November 11, 2012, 13:32[/b]
                                                        We made it Timo. Glad you made it out there with us. Those finger deads were unreal. You need a club, so we can have a meet in Finland!

Thanks Chad,

certainly our basement club in my village is way too small 🙂

KCSTRONGMAN
                                                        Keymaster

[b]Quote from Timo Lauttamus on November 12, 2012, 03:30[/b]
                                                          [quote][b]Quote from chadul79 on November 11, 2012, 13:32[/b]

Thanks Chad,

certainly our basement club in my village is way too small 🙂
                                                          [/quote]

Timo-you should see some of our meets
                                                          ET

Al Myers
                                                          Keymaster

Timo – I really enjoyed getting to meet you. You are a gifted strength athlete as well as a great guy to hang out with. Hopefully you will continue to stay very active in IAWA. It is exciting to see expansion of the countries involved in the IAWA. Al

Timo Lauttamus
                                                            Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on November 12, 2012, 10:04[/b]
                                                              Timo – I really enjoyed getting to meet you. You are a gifted strength athlete as well as a great guy to hang out with. Hopefully you will continue to stay very active in IAWA. It is exciting to see expansion of the countries involved in the IAWA. Al

You too Al,

was great to meet you. Active as possible, at the moment i feel i could compete in UK once in a year, hopefully one day later i will able to come to Kansas. I was taken about you guys would like to come Finland, just my issue is small village with no hotels etc. also i would need bars, axle and discs etc. i think platform is easiest to do. Who knows maybe one day? Would be great to see also other nations in IAWA, i believe lot of great lifters is out there.

Btw, did you get any pic with me and Inver Stone? My wife told me no way you didn’t lift that, after seeing it in YouTube 🙂

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.