by Al Myers
As most of you know, one of the new programs I developed last year was the USAWA Club Award Program. I did this for the main reason of encouraging club participation in the USAWA, with the hope that clubs will become more actively involved. I really believe the future success of the USAWA lies with clubs. The many lifts we do are difficult to learn and it takes someone who is experienced in All-Round Weightlifting to be able to mentor and teach others, which happens in a club environment. It also takes a clubs support to be able to host and promote competitions. I know I couldn’t put on the meets I do at the Dino Gym if it wasn’t for the support of the gym’s membership. These guys provide “the muscle” needed to make a meet setup successful. Often all the work they do is “behind the scenes” – but they know how much I appreciate them!!
I am VERY PROUD to say that this year MORE CLUBS are registered as “member clubs” of the USAWA than ever before in the history of the USAWA. We have 10 clubs registered! This makes me extremely happy – because I feel that the promotion of club involvement is working. So I created a Club Award Program to recognize the clubs that are the most involved. It is a very straight-forward points program and the points can be calculated directly from information available on the website. The previous year’s winner is not eligible the following year, but is responsible for giving out the award to the next year’s winner at the Annual General Meeting in conjunction with the National Championship.
Club Awards are determined by adding up club points using this 4-Step System:
1. One point awarded to the club for EACH USAWA registered member that lists the club as their affiliated club on their membership application. This designation is also listed beside the members name on the membership roster.
2. Two points awarded to the club for EACH club member that participates in the National Championships, World Championships, and Gold Cup. Points are awarded for each competition, so if one club athlete competes in all three of these big meets it would generate 6 points for the club.
3. Three points awarded to the club for EACH USAWA sanctioned event or competition the club promotes.
4. Four bonus points awarded to the club for promotion of the National Championships, World Championships, and Gold Cup.
Club Award Points to Date (TOP FIVE)
1. Habecker’s Gym – 26 points
2. Ambridge BBC – 19 points
3. Frank’s Barbell Club – 17 points
4. Clark’s Gym – 16 points
5. JWC – 12 points
The TIME is not up yet! Clubs STILL have till the end of the year to add points to their total.