by Al Myers
At the Annual National Meeting of the USAWA last month, a few minor rule changes were approved by the membership that I want to let everyone know about. Most of the changes in the individual lift rules were made to bring the USAWA rules into compliance with the IAWA rules. As I’ve said before, I feel this is a very important step in accomplishing uniform rules between the USAWA and IAWA. However, this will be an ongoing process that will need to be addressed every year for a few more years until this problem is resolved completely.
A few “big changes” were made to the General Rules. The first was requiring Officials to be USAWA members in order to serve in an active capacity. Our official’s program has really taken off the past couple of years, and I feel this is just another “small step” in developing a solid program for officials (I still feel we are not there yet, and more improvements need to be made). I want to stress that there will be NO LOSS of certification status if an officials membership lapses. All that is required is rejoining the USAWA in order to be an active official again. These inactive officials will be identified on the Officials Roster with an asterisk. Another change is from now on all new Fulton Bar lifts will need to be approved as new lifts by the membership. Once approved, any new Fulton Bar Lift will be added to the rulebook. The next big change is that sanction requests must be turned into the USAWA at least 6 weeks prior to the meet date. This is necessary in order to allow ample time to adequately announce the event on the website.
These new changes will become effective August 1st, at which time the new 5th Edition USAWA Rulebook will be available.
USAWA Rulebook Changes/Additions/Subtractions
Individual Rules of the Lifts:
- D7. Curl – Cheat: Remove “Heels and toes must not rise during the lift.” Add “The heels may rise during the lift” and “the bar may be lowered below the knees during the lift”. These changes will bring the USAWA rule into compliance with the IAWA rule.
- A15. Clean and Press – On Knees: Remove “However, touching the buttocks to the feet or lower legs during the press is a disqualification.” Add “The lifter may press with the buttocks touching the feet or lower legs or press in an upright position, but if the buttocks are touching the feet or lower legs at the beginning of the press the lifter is not allowed to become upright during the press.” This change will bring the USAWA rule into compliance with the IAWA rule.
- A44. Snatch – On Knees: Add “The knees are allowed to move on the platform during the lift.” This change will bring the USAWA rule into compliance with the IAWA rule.
- H24. Vertical Bar Deadlift: Add “Both vertical bars must be loaded to the same weight.”
- E9. Curl – 2 Dumbbells, Cheat: Remove “The dumbbells must be turned so the rods of the dumbbells are in line with each other prior to the curl and during the curl.” Add “The dumbbells may be in any degree of rotation during the curl, but must finish with the rods of the dumbbells in line and parallel to the shoulders.” This change will bring the USAWA rule into compliance with the IAWA rule.
- H15. Pinch Grip: Add “front hang or backhang is allowed to the loading of the center bar”.
- H21. Turkish Get Up: Add “A dumbbell, kettlebell or barbell is used for this lift, but only one record will be kept regardless of the implement used.” This change will bring the USAWA rule into compliance with the IAWA rule.
- VII. Officials: Add “USAWA Officials must have current USAWA membership to be active officials. Officials who do not have current USAWA membership will be identified on the list of certified officials as inactive. The lack of current membership will not result in the loss of certification status.”
- Fulton Bar (2” Bar) Lifts: Remove “Fulton Bar Lifts are approved for all bar lifts using a Fulton Bar and the rules of the individual lifts. Listed below are the rules for the Fulton Bar Lifts in which records have been set”. This would require that all new Fulton Bar Lifts would need to be proposed and passed as new lifts.
- VII.3 The Competition: Add “Sanction requests must be sent in for approval at least 6 weeks prior to the scheduled event.”
- B7. Deadlift – Fingers, Middle: The photo caption changed from “Deadlift – Fingers, Little by Dale Friesz” to “Deadlift – Fingers, Ring by Dale Friesz”.
All changes will be made to the 5th Edition USAWA Rulebook, which will become effective August 1st, 2011.